Former_Member
Not applicable

Easy Up?

It's time to get a show shelter so....

Honest opinions on EZ Up shelters?

Can one person raise one?

Are they decent quality?

What ever you can add!

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
28 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Easy Up?

Purchasing an EZ-Up seems like the same experience you get Purchasing a Mattress. They have dozens of variations each found at a different retailer. and almost no useful info on the website to explain the differences.

They are not intended for 1 person to set up. Really you need two people for about 5 seconds. Especially on Grass.

I have one right now that is about 10 years old. I need to at least replace the top because my wife refused to put it in the bag. Dragging it in and out of the trailer wore out the top enough that rain now comes in.

So my choice is get a replacement top off e-bay that also comes with an Auning and sign pocket, or get a new one at Sams (not available on the website) for twice as much that includes 4 zippered walls. Right now I only have 3 walls that Velcro on and let a lot of rain in.

Does anyone have any experience with the Zippered walls?
0 Likes

I love my EZ up.
I got it from the Hutshop.com, last year at a good price ($240 or so), included walls, and the strongest fabric for the top that they had (at least as of last summer), carrying case and awning and banner pocket.
I think it was this one: http://www.hutshop.com/ezupcanopies.html

I've seen people do it one person, but I think its tricky. I always have help. It goes up VERY easy with two people. My husband and I always help our neighbors if they are alone, so I imagine there would always be help if I'm every alone.

Its very sturdy. Decent quality. Its rather heavy to lug around! (but with the weight, comes the sturdy) And besides, that's what husbands are for.

The zippered walls are great. Though they can be a little bit tricky to zip at the corners. Its a fairly tight fit, so if the legs are slightly out of square (like they tend to be on an un-even ground) its hard to meet up the edges. We've always managed to get them zippered -- though sometimes with some grumbling.. I like that they are fairly translucent, so they let in plenty of light.

The canopy is nice and high, so lots of head room and display space. Mine is adjustable, so I can have it lower if I want (I always have it has tall as possible).

I don't tend to use the "awning and banner pocket" that came with it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I figured the awning would come in handy on drizzly days
0 Likes

I would suggest that whatever you purchase, make sure it's white. Many shows require white canopies. I wish I'd known before I purchased my navy one. Now I often end up still having to rent one, whenever the show has a color requirement.

0 Likes

I bought my last EZup at Sam's and it is the best one I have ever had. It is waterproof and doesn't even drip around the seams. I use the zippered sides and they are super easy. Just make sure you have good weights. BTW - I do put up my tent by myself every show.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am looking at these to hold things down, anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11516191&whse=BC&topnav=
Undercover® Gravity-Tube™ Ultimate Anchor System

I Priced out the PVC Tube and Concrete method and the pricing comes out about the same when you add the straps
0 Likes

Does anyone have experience with tents that have a vented top? I did a show a few weeks ago in extreme wind. Most of the EZ-Up folks ended up taking the tops off their tents because it was causing their tents to take flight.

Another question... do the walls of the EZ-Up fit into the carry bag? I have a tent with some makeshift walls and since they don't fit in the bag they get pretty beat up and dirty.
0 Likes

If you are talking about the EZ Up that is sold at Sams Club, with the white top, 10'x10' with straight legs, ~$150 to $200, I have one of those. It's great. I had a couple of the cheaper versions and they are nowhere near as good. The EZ Up can not be put up by one person if you are my size (5'4"). It's heavy. I can't lift mine. The case has wheels but I always have to have my husband help with it. You really need 2 people to open and close. The sides are nice. I never use the awning.
The walls do not fit into the case. You need a separate container for those.
0 Likes

I am 5'4 also. I guess the main reason I can get my tent up by myself is because I have no choice. No husband in sight. lol A very easy way to open it up by yourself is to get it partially open, duck under and then hold the center piece and lift. It will open right up. Once you get one corner snapped in and the rest is easy. My walls do fit into the bag and I love my awning.

Forest Academy - Those weights look like they would be good. It cost about $40 for the pvc weights to make, plus the cost of the straps.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Great Feedback! Thanks :)
0 Likes

My walls DO fit in the carrying case.

Everything fits in the bag, except the weights
0 Likes

I've been eyeballing the costco ones myself. My husband keeps saying he will make me some PVC ones, and he will when I push him. But I really like the idea of the canvas bag.
We even have all the straps we need already but I ordered these anyways. I literally just ordered these.

I have yet to set my booth up.
Tent came from costco
Outdoor ground cover from costco
Weights from costco
6ft folding table from costco
I love costco
And when I finally get around to setting my tent up on a sunny day, if any of these items don't work out. Costco has the BEST return policy!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I suggest practicing to set up your EZ up before the event-if you are doing it alone. I can put it up and tear it down all by myself, but it took a couple of shows.

So practice, practice, practice!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I love my EZUp! Found it in the local paper, for sale used once with 4 sides still in the original packaging.

I've learned to put it up myself even though I'm only 5'2" and use a mobility scooter to get around. My key was to practice many times before I ever used it at a show.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crochetgal/sets/72157620797814869/

I never had a bag for it, but I do use an army dufflebag to store it in. The walls go in a clear plastic tub along with some of my other hardware.

I've not had much luck with the zipper walls though. Mine are all velcro. Any of the zipper walled tents I've worked with have had the zippers break or give way.
0 Likes

I really don't like the EZUp...
Yes you can set it up your self..........
I found that the top corners seems to sag. That picks up the wind, and when it rains it gathers water.
What I did find to help was to place lula hoops on the inside corners.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My last ez up was a lemon from Sams and took about 6 men t set up and I had to replace poles each time. I recently let them know I was still having problems even with the replacements and they had great customer service and sending me a complete replacement tent and top w/sides at no charge.
So with that customer service in mind I will stick to the ez up. My friend always puts hers up alone. I also have another widowed friend who is in her late 70's that can put hers up alone.

For weights i use the pvc with concrete. If it is an extremely windy day I fill cat litter buckets with water.
0 Likes

drandallpottery avatar
I found that the top corners seems to sag. That picks up the wind, and when it rains it gathers water.
I believe the newer models have improved on this problem (or at least that's what the EZ-Up people clain). The one I got last year has not shown any sagging, though admittedly I have not had it in a real downpour yet.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have a new one and she is right it still puddles at those corners that sag.

I will have to get me some hola hoops!!! That is a great idea.
0 Likes

I have a tip for setting up any tent alone. I use cinder blocks for my weights and I lay a block down and put one leg of the tent inside the hole. From there I can work out the other legs while that one stays put. I put up the other three sides and do that leg last so that I can pull out the block and set it upright and use it as a weight.
0 Likes

for anchors i just got 4 single cinder blocks for my easy up and i have one at each corner. it works great for me.

as for the tent i have the same one for the last 5 years. just a reminder to scotchguard it every year to help with the rain issue

david
0 Likes

I just got a new EZ Up a couple of weeks ago and it has been great. The side walls velcro to the top of the tent and zipper to each other on the sides. It is a snug fit but looks great. My old EZ Up attached to the crossbars with velcro loops and always looked saggy . . .

I have been doing shows for 3 years and have always put up my EZ Up alone (except when a helpful neighbor offers assistance). It's really not too hard once you get used to it. And if your looking for assistance, most craft show people will be ready to help.

I also got mine at hutshop. It came in 3 days.

My bag is supposed to fit the tent plus the side walls - but I find it tough to get the tent into the bag so I usually just skip the bag altogether.

Good luck!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

There are like at least 4 different canopies with sides for about $250 at hutshop; encore, encore v2, undercover UC-3, display hut...any preferences or are they all the same?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

try looking on CraigsList before you go buy one for a small fortune, good ones ARE out there, you just need to look regularly and be patient.
(this goes for alot of things that one might need for doing events ;D )
good luck at the shows! :D <3
0 Likes

Forest, I have an EZ up with those same weights. I have only used my tent 3 times and the wind hasn't been real bad but I am figuring it will take a pretty strong wind to wipe out the tent.

I didn't know you could get an awning. I got the sides and think they are great. Does anyone have a photo of the awning?
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.