Former_Member
I read online that it's important to bring a receipt book to write receipts. Do you do this? It sounds time consuming and as a buyer at a craft market, I don't think I'd expect one.... but maybe I'm in the minority?
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Re: Do you write receipts for customers? Is this necessary?

Yes, my sales books are a great tool I use whenever I am making inventory and planning for the next show (or shows). I can keep right on top of sales trends for the year, or for different areas, different types of shows. It motivates me to know the numbers I have done at a show before, a goal that I want to reach or exceed, sometimes makes me work harder, to talk to more customers.
And it is what I use to calculate the sales tax submitted federally and to different provinces.

I also keep a spreadsheet/graph inventory of all my glass designs, broken down into style and color in the studio.....so I can efficiently see what needs to be made.

Certainly I have seen booths with more sophisticated inventory systems than my notebook system; with item #s, that they scan or keep track of with their laptop. The sellers who use Square like the inventory system available. But the notebook system is simple and easy for anyone to do.

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

The notebook works for me too. It really doesn't take time to quickly jot something down and ultimately it is tremendously helpful.
0 Likes

Oh Sorry, forgot to add....I don't write receipts. Unless requested by the customer and I have a short computer generated form containing my shop information.......just in case.
0 Likes

I use square so if they pay with credit card I ask if they want it emailed to them.
Most shows they don't care or don't want one but I did one show last season where almost everyone requested a receipt so i'm glad I had my receipt book handy.
It's always good to one one just in case.
0 Likes

For anyone that has a table or smart phone - square's app is really convenient even for keeping track of cash payments.

i run ALL of my sales through it so I have a running total of the items I've sold and the money I've received.

You can add items with their prices and you can just touch the item on the screen and it adds it to the order. Then you can see reports on how many of each item sold, which item was the most popular that day, what your average sale was, etc....

It's great!
0 Likes

I use square for payment and a receipt is emailed to them, I love paperless!
0 Likes
DryadTea
Inspiration Seeker

I'm another Square user. I use the Square Register App on my Ipad so that I have full access to everything like a computer point of sale system. Also, square lets me take photos of the one of a kind pieces so that they are linked to the sale in the register. I always ask if they'd like a receipt, sometimes if their email is already on file it just auto sends one. Makes my life super easy when the shop is hoppin!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I bring a receipt book and always ask if they want one. If they don't I still write one for my own records. I also use receipt books for any custom orders that may come up while I'm there.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

WhimsyBits, how do you use Square for cash transactions? Do they charge for this? I'll be using Square for all card purchases and probably to calculate the tax for me as well, but I didn't know you could use it to keep a record of cash!
0 Likes

I keep the price tags from the items I sell for my record of what I sold. I do not use a receipt book unless I am asked for it. I have only been asked for a receipt two or three times in 14 years.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

any comparisons on PayPal Here verses Square?
which is best?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i write a receipt, as it appears more professional and place my name and contact detail on this for the clients future reference
0 Likes

I always do. Mostly for my own records. I've found it's the easiest way of keeping track of what I sell, how many customers I had and what my average sale is. Plus then they've got my contact info in case they want to buy more!!! :)
0 Likes
QTSG
Crafty Poster

I designed a small (5 x 7-ish) size receipt for my business and had a local printing business produce them with carbonless copies. It wasn't too expensive and it not only allows me to have a record of my sales (since I get to keep a copy), it allows me to give the customer a receipt AND it allows me to advertise as well (as I have my business name, info, slogan, etc. on it).

Plus, while you're filling out the receipt, it allows the customer a few extra minutes to browse just a little more. ;)
0 Likes

I do if people ask for them -- otherwise we would never be able to keep up with all our customers. If they pay with card I always offer an e-mail receipt.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I don't think I've ever been asked for a receipt and I do a lot of shows. I also do the Farmer's Market weekly during the summer, and no one has ever asked me for a receipt. They take their item, I take their money, and we're both happy.

I do have a two part price tag attached to everything that I sell. I rip off the bottom half of the price tag with my inventory number on it and that way I can keep my own records for the tax man. I'm covered, as I'm not just going and selling stuff willy nilly without good records. I know what I've sold, how much it cost, when it was made, etc. etc. with my inventory number. I don't have much paperwork at a show and it only takes minutes to pull the card and mark it sold when I get home and do my little bit of paperwork.

Oh, and don't forget here in California you can deduct the miles you drove to the show as well. I think it's like 52 cents a mile now. That can add up really fast as a very nice deduction, by the way,.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I never give receipts, but I have a book, on the off chance that someone wants one. It's usually if they're buying a gift for the office, with office funds. I purchased this receipt book 30 years ago, and had to buy a new one in 2000, because 19-- was on the first one. That's how few I use!
0 Likes

We run all our sales including cash though square and offer the buyer the email or text receipt. They are usually are already in the system or pass. We also remove price the stickers from the item and attach them to sheet of note paper with the item description for our records.

We write paper receipts, on 2-part forms, for custom orders, or if the customer wants their purchase shipped as a gift. That way, we both have a copy of all the agreed to details. And, of course, if the the occasional customer asks for a paper receipt, we have them, but that almost never happens.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.