Choosing fabric for your table

So I'm starting to move from a 2 metre table to a 3 metre table, and I'll need to think about what to do about the cloth.

So far I've been using a plain turquoise cotton, which looks fresh and eye catching, and I feel that the cotton gives a nice look. However, it is challenging to avoid big creases in the fabric, and takes time to get a smooth fit over the ends of the table and riser.

I see other sellers using that kind of velvet-looking fabric, or a polyester looking fabric, which I can see the sense of in terms of it being easy to smooth out on the table, and it doesn't crease; but I've yet to see one that has a finish that looks as pretty and 'high end' as cotton, to my eye.

What kind of fabric do you like to use, and why does it work for you? I'd really appreciate some other opinions before I make a decision about what to get, as I hope to keep using it for a long time to come.

Thanks in advance!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Choosing fabric for your table

I used to use white cotton sheets with a very pretty colorful sheer overlay but so many people asked about my sheer overlay than my pots i decided to change.

I went out and bought those polyester fitted table covers in black. They wash up like a dream but not so pretty, i also got some yardage of microsuede in a cinnabar color, it looks rich but earthy, matches my branding and wrinkles very little. At the end of a show i rush to pack so i merely strip both layers of table covers off at once and ball each up and stuff them in a big bag and only take them out if they need washing or the next show which ever comes first. I got my microsuede on clearance in the summer as it is more a fall/winter fabric.

Recently I have experimented with a third layer of lighter large cream squares placed in the middle of my tables as some of my pots match the cinnabar too closely and don't stand out well. I found some really nice large square pillow shams at the thrift store, the other vendors complimented them said they make the pots pop.
0 Likes
TextileTrolley
Inspiration Seeker

I use painters drop cloths! They have a natural light beige linen look so they don't clash with all of the colours in my fabrics! They are long enough to hit the ground and I got them on sale!
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

The cloth that is taped to the side of the table is a cotton blend broadcloth. The cloth that goes on top is a polyester. I fold them carefully after each show and creasing is minor.
I find the problem with velvety fabrics is that they attract lint, but the stretch poly ones don't crease much.
When you're at a fabric store, try balling up a corner of the fabric in your fist and then check to see how easily it has creased.

We have curtains and it used to be such a big pain having to iron them all the time. Then I was at a trade show and my neighbour rolled up their curtains on a broomstick thick dowel. It works great. You can also try using a cardboard roll from a fabric store. This can work for tablecloths too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

We bought fitted table cloths from premier table linens online. They're blue & the corners are pleated. I like the convenience of these rather than having to attach skirting. You can order them in a variety of colors & sizes to fit any tables. They just slide right over & cover all 4 sides of the table.

We also had them cut both ends of one of the long sides, so that the entire side can fold up. This gives us access under the table for storing our boxes, containers, etc...
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

I don't have the same table set up at every show I do. It can range from a 6 foot table, 8 foot table, 10x10 corner booth, 10x10 interior booth, 10x10 tent, 10x12, 10x15 booths. So I love the flexibility of being able to use my fabric to wrap and cover any variety of tables. I don't wrap the back of whatever table I am standing behind, so I can reach stock that is under that table.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Katy, I just visited your shop....I'M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!
0 Likes

Wow, lots of interesting info here, I'll have a look at these different ideas! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

KilnGoddess, I'm fond of the layered look, too. I'm wondering if by layering in some way, I can continue to use my old cloth for part of the table. Also, TigersandDragons, love your thought about balling a corner of the fabric art the store to check how easily it creases!

And Cheryl, thank you very much :D
0 Likes

My mom made me a very nice tablecloth in a fun floral pattern. I love it and I don't think it's too busy at all. It's a nice heavy cotton also.
It's also nice because if there are wrinkles or kinda dirty you don't really notice.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I needed extra fabric at the last minute for a show away from home and picked up some black sateen sheets on sale from Wal Mart. Now these are the only pieces of fabric I use. The little bit of shine looks classy, they store easily, any wrinkling doesn't even show, and they wash up great. I even use the pillow cases to cover small risers.
Blessings, Dana
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I usually use a linen table cloth and instead of folding it up I roll it up.

I never thought of using a sateen sheet as Dana mentioned above. I'm going to try that next. I have a show coming up in April.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use a layer look. I have lace tablecloths (they don't show wrinkles) that I drape to the ground. Over the top I wanted leather but it was too expensive so I bought a faux leather fabric (this does not wrinkle either). I drape the leather so it goes about halfway down the lace for an appealing leather and lace look.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was thinking of using cotton for my 1st show but you all have such wonderful ideas! I am really glad I joined the team!
0 Likes

What is the general look of your booth? I have the black polyester but I want the booth to disappear and the product to stand out. Your jewelry looks pretty elegant, so I would stay away from cutesy. If you really like the way cotton looks, maybe you can roll the tablecloth on a tube to avoid wrinkles. Keep in mind some shows require fireproofing.

BTW - I'm not doing shows with the work I sell in this etsy shop, but my other one JackpotsPottery - in case you wanted to look.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.