Former_Member
Not applicable

Business license

I am new to displaying at craft fairs, etc. My ? Is:does anyone have experience with fairs in numerous states. Do you have to have a license in each state, city, county, etc. I just found out that mine is only good in my county.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
16 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Business license

You mean like a sales tax license? I have a sales tax license for each state I do shows in (CA, TX and MD). You need a sales tax license for each state you sell in, although not for online sales. What sort of license do you have?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Business license. Do i also need a tax license for each state?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You need a sales tax license for each state you sell in. You might be able to get short term tax licenses, for special events/fairs. I know that most counties offer it, but I don't know about the state level.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You will need a tax license for every juristiction that you are selling in.

Here in the valley the Phoenix metropolitan area is comprised of more than 30 distinct cities, towns and villages. If I sell in the City of Phoenix I'm required to have a City of Phoenix tax license. But if I cross the road and sell in Glendale, I also need a Glendale license as well.

This is in addition to my own city's license.

However, my state business license is good wherever I go in the state.
0 Likes

I have a sales tax license for both GA and SC. In SC it is a sale tax license specifically for people coming in from out of state to do shows. If you call that state's department of revenue they will tell you what you need to do.
0 Likes

Your business license is typically for your city of residence.
0 Likes

In Illinois it is required that you have a business license and tax id and insurance for your business.

In Illinois, you only collect for your state. If you do business in other state you need to check with their department.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow, talk about complicated and expensive with all these licensing requirements!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Am I correct in assuming that I should invest in a State sales license instead of a city sales license because you can use it anywhere?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was not aware of the city/county licensing thing, I'm not sure we have that in TX. Not one single show I've ever done has required anything other than a state sales tax permit, so I guess it varies from state to state. *shrug*
0 Likes

You don't necessary need a business license for other states. In Virginia if you do 3 or less shows as an out of state vendor you do not need a business license (but you do have to submit sales tax -- there's a special form).
0 Likes
ColoradoMorning
Inspiration Seeker

Some show promoters obtain their own separate special event license and require that you submit sales tax revenue to them at the end of the show. I sell at two shows per year in Utah where the promoters obtain temporary state permits for each seller and pass them out at the shows. Sellers then remit sales tax directly to the State of Utah.

Most sales tax info and remittance requirements are spelled out in the contract, so there's no hard and fast rule.
0 Likes

And the sales tax registration is usually free. Although for SC I paid $25 for the year.
0 Likes

Wow... things are tough in the states! Thats crazy! You need different sales tax and licenses for different states? How do you cope with all that? And you have so many more events and people travel all over to do shows! My respect for you traveling full timers just increased 10fold!

Up here in the great white north its the same in all provinces, also, we don't need to worry about sales tax unless our sales are more than $30k per quarter.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Knitspin, those requirements must be a local thing. I live in a rural area of downstate Illinois. I've had an Illinois tax i.d. for 30 years but have never been required to have a business license and no one has asked for proof of liability insurance except some show promoters.

I think this is a good example of the need to ask someone knowledgeable in your own community and also in the location where you are going to sell. Most larger shows will distribute information about the legal requirements for selling at their location. Some even provide the sales tax forms along with a deadline for submitting the tax. Their main purpose is to make sure out of state sellers comply but they also target Illinois residents who do not have a tax i.d. I have even been at shows in Illinois where someone from the Illinois Department of Revenue will go booth to booth checking for compliance.

Some communities have art societies or co-ops and they will sometimes have the current information. Asking an experienced craft seller doesn't work. I know some of them who have somehow avoided paying required taxes for many years. It's pretty traumatic if the State catches them before they voluntarily make amends.

Starting to sell crafts can be pretty simple, but doing it legally can be a lot more complicated.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Landfilldesigns, I am moving to your city. I wish it were like that everwhere. My guess is it is just another money maker for the government. Mine small city charged me $100 for a city license that is only good here in this county/city. Highway robbery!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.