Beautiful weather...ditch the tent?

I am setting up this weekend and its supposed to be beautiful. I sell wreaths and use grid walls to hang them on every inch possible. I am considering not using my canopy so that I can run garlands across the top of the grid walls and put my sign above the grid walls. This way the light catches everything and it doesn't look darker (even under white fabric). No tables (no room!) so just grid walls on three sides. Am I crazy?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
13 Replies
JustMeToo
Community Maker

Re: Beautiful weather...ditch the tent?

My items are all fabric, so I wouldn't do it, because of the sun fading my products, (or a sunburn for me)!
If the sun isn't an issue, then, why not?
0 Likes

I would be a sunburned mess being exposed all day, but that's my skin. SPF 150 wouldn't help. I have friends who wouldn't consider the sun a factor at all, but I" just tossing that out there on behalf of my Irish complexion. At least Gram says that's why.
0 Likes

Sounds like it would look beautiful but how hot would it be for your customers? If you live in an area where you get that fall snap in the air even when it's sunny then go for it. Maybe a market umbrella in one corner where your customers can stand for the purchase and packaging might be a good idea.
0 Likes
PJCRAFTSWORLD
Registered Buyer

I wouldn't do it because the weather can be so unpredictable. Last Saturday the forecast was for a sunny day all day. We no more than got setup and had a 20 minutes shower and it poured. Afterwards the sun came out and was beautiful the rest of the day. A sudden shower can pop up anytime at least here in Florida it can.

Also the sun factor. I would die being in the sun all day. But that's me.
0 Likes

Not only the sun as a factor, and unpredictable rain, I consider if birds might be flying over and drop unwanted "presents" :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ditto on the weather being unpredictable. "Supposed" to be beautiful doesn't always mean it will be beautiful. Can't always count on the weather forecasters. If a quick rain shower popped up, it would be rather unpleasant.

Also, think about your customers. If it is sunny outside, customers might just wander in your booth to get some shade & take a look at your products while they're there.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Not sure what state you're in, but in GA...if you don't like the weather...or even if you love the weather...wait 5 minutes, it'll change. I wouldn't do any events without my tent. It's a weather protector, Keeps the heat/sun off yours and your customers skin, and it also provides structure for your space....kinda like the walls in your home.
0 Likes

If every other booth has a canopy except for you, your display may sort of fade into the background. I've seen this happen at fairs many times and learned this lesson the hard way about 10 years ago when I shared a booth with someone who felt the same as you ... the result was that shoppers just walked right by our booth and, since that wasn't the norm, I believe it was due to not using the canopy.
0 Likes

We have done this at spring and fall shows when it's sunny but on the cool side - it allows us to stay a little warmer while letting more light into the booth. We have found that it is essential when not using the canopy top to have something across that front panel that mocks a canopy, otherwise the tent looks weird among the other tents, sometimes we use a couple of very large gauzy lengths of fabric to create our own canopy top, which lets in filtered light. Another plus of not having the roof, you don't need the weights.
0 Likes
PJCRAFTSWORLD
Registered Buyer

Just thought of something else. Check with the organizer. Some shows would not allow you to dispense with the canopy. They want a uniform look. I do one show here in Florida that the tent must be white.
0 Likes

I love to be in the open air! That said, I am melanin challenged and must be under a canopy lest I look like a cooked lobster. I second the bird 'presents' danger.
0 Likes

One day or two day show? Big difference there. Ditto the sun, change in weather and birds.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Dana, I know it's a major drag setting up (and taking down) the canopy. My husband and I are in our sixties and stopped doing farmers markets because the weekly load/unload/up/down/reload grind became too much. Nonetheless, you should take the trouble to use yours. The canopy gives show-goers a sense of "shop-iness," if you know what I mean, in addition to all the other pluses cited above. :-)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.