OceanJazzMaui
Inspiration Seeker

Allowing Customers to Try On Merchandise?

Hi!
My first show is less than two weeks away and I'm very excited! I'm preparing for this event while re-doing my shop at the same time.

My question...

I have a few bracelets that are in the $100 range and I'm not sure if I should allow these items to be tried on. They are 3x leather wrap bracelets, so I'm worried about the wear and tear.

Here are my options so far:
1) Package them in clear baggies, and only interested buyers (people who ask) may try on
2) Have a "No Touching" sign stating only serious buyers may try on, or
3) Let anyone try them on

I will have less expensive wrap bracelets for customers to try. Just not sure about the pricier ones!

Please help! Thanks :)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
11 Replies

Re: Allowing Customers to Try On Merchandise?

I actually encourage potential buyers to try things on. That goes from the simple $5 bracelets (chum!) to $550 handbags. I bring a large mirror so customers can see how the bag, mask or whatever looks on them. Many times trying it on will seal the deal!

The only time I got upset was with a young college student who literally tore a one of a kind $200 mask from its display. She twisted the display hooks, never looked at herself in the mirror and tossed it on the table. The mask was fine, but wow... I did not like that one bit! Thankfully she was the exception since most people ask if they may try the masks on.
0 Likes
JustMeToo
Community Maker

I certainly wouldn't put the expensive bracelets out there in front for EVERYone to try on, but, even though baggies are a little tacky, it's your best idea of the three you presented. People who seem genuinely interested should certainly be, not only allowed, but encouraged, to try them on. They shouldn't have to ask - YOU should suggest it. (You might make the sale)!
No Touching signs can seem very unfriendly. All the best of luck at your show!
0 Likes

Perhaps you could have one bracelet for people to try on to see how they fit and then they can purchase a new one, kind of like the samples body scrub people who have out a sample people can smell.
0 Likes
PJCRAFTSWORLD
Registered Buyer

Just be aware if they are out there for anyone to try on, you will get a lot of kids and teens who are there to waste time trying them on. There will be a lot of wear and tear.
0 Likes

I think as much as it makes you cringe, you need to make it fairly easy for serious customers to try them on. Maybe place them nearer to you, or pin them to something so they are not as accessible but if someone shows interest you can help them with it. I sell children's clothing, and sometimes people want to try things on their kids (over their clothes) and I cringe...the farmer's market where I sell does free face painting and so kids often have that. But I know that if they were to go to any store, they would be allowed to try on clothes and that is what can reassure them it will fit. So far, all the parents have been careful and most of the time it has resulted in sale!
0 Likes

I have my more expensive jewelry on displays on risers towards the back of my table so that customers can see the pieces really well but I have to take them off the displays so they can see them closer or try them on. This makes the more expensive jewelry look special and it also makes them harder to steal.
0 Likes

I would see if you can find a sort of display case to put them in, that can be near you so that it's easy for you to get the item out if someone wants to try it on.

I would absolutely allow people to try it on, because if not I think you're setting yourself up for a hefty return.
0 Likes
OceanJazzMaui
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks everyone for the input!

Now I definitely want people to try them on, especially if it may lead to a sale!

I like the idea of displaying them higher and further!

Along with that idea, what if I tied the price tag around the entire bracelet, so that it would have to be removed in order for them to try on. I might feel a more comfortable and it would be fast and easy to do.

Thanks again!
0 Likes

What about a display that's enclosed? Like a clear acrylic box covering your "expensive" bracelet holder. That way customers are required to ask for assistance, but you don't have a harsh "no touching" sign. I strongly urge you to bring a shop helper to help potential buyers try on products. That way you can handle the crowd and protect your merchandise.
0 Likes
TigersandDragons
Conversation Maker

Keep your more expensive items separated, so that you have to assist customers with trying these on.....that they cannot reach these without your help.
I find that it does make a difference if I am helping people, they handle the jewellery more delicately.
0 Likes
OceanJazzMaui
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks again for all the great ideas and suggestions! I appreciate it!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.