Fullofcraft
Inspiration Seeker

Accepting Payments

I used to take credit cards, but found that the cost in fees were not worth it unless I was doing a really big show. Now I accept Cash and local checks (and of course cash).

What do you accept?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
47 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: Accepting Payments

If you have an iPhone, Android phone or a wifi-capable iPod Touch or iPad you can visit www.squareup.com and sign up for their service. Fees are even less than Paypal, and the card reader is free. You can accept payments from any of the four major CC companies -- even AmEx! I can't wait to do my first craft fair this year now that I have the ability to accept credit/check cards!
0 Likes
Fullofcraft
Inspiration Seeker

I've heard about squareup before, but alas, I don't have a fancy phone.... yet ;)

Has anyone else used it before? I'm curious how customers feel watching you swipe their cards on your phone.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use square. I haven't had one person give me looks about it...they all think it's great and walk away talking about the fact that I can take a payment over the phone. The only issue I have is not being able to print a receipt in person. I'm thinking of using a receipt book for this. So far...nobody cares and all are willing to let me send them one via their email.
0 Likes
Fullofcraft
Inspiration Seeker

This might be a bit off topic, but if I were to get a smart phone, what would you all recommend? I'm a total Mac girl, so I just feel like I should get an iPhone, but I've heard mixed reviews, especially since the new htc and other new phones have come out.
0 Likes

I've been using Propay for years and now they have a mobile login to process on the spot. My only issue with the mobile app is my phone keyboard is very small. But in 4 years that I have been using Propay and processing at home I have only had one card declined.

And I am totally in love with my Droid 2 (despite it's awkward number pad!).
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am totally stoked to hear about SquareUp!
I actually lost a few sales at my first show because I couldn't accept credit cards . . . And was a bit intimidated by other services out there.
In regards to smart phones . . .
I got an iPad this year and downsized my phone!
It's definitely pricier than a phone but oh so amazing and useful! I only pay $14.99 a month for a limited data plan (I've never gone over), you can't get a data plan for a smart phone for less than $30 a month.
Plus I manage my etsy account with it. (FYI you can't create new listings with it because you can't upload photos from it).
They keyboard is GREAT too!
0 Likes
SunshineJewls
Inspiration Seeker

Any canadian suggestions?
I have emailed square and they said they are shooting for this year for canadian use, but Not yet!!
I would LOVE to accept cards, I feel I miss out on quite a few without..
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I also use ProPay. I have an iPhone and it works great. I am more afraid of taking checks than I am cc even if I run them at home. There are times at shows where you don't have time to enter it in on the phone or shows where you can't get decent signal. I keep cc forms on hand.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I use Square to accept Cards--I have a Motorola Droid. I take cash of course.
0 Likes

I've got a merchant account and take credit cards. There's a monthly charge, but it's worth it to me because I do a lot of large shows. I just got an android phone so I could try the square. I've ordered it. Just waiting to try it out. I've heard lots of good things about it. Also take cash and checks at my shows.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I recently got bigger ticket items and was nervous about continuing to accept checks, especially as I went to show further from home. As luck would have it an i-pad showed up in our house so I signed us up for squareup. Got everything set up in about a week, (my bank was the slowest part) and took 10 sales via square and one cash at the next show. As luck would have it I was able to grab wifi off a hotel, but I could have used the AT&T service.
Folks Loved it. They thought it was the coolest thing.
The fact that I can take Amx for the same low rate as the others is great too. No one in WI takes Amx but lots of tourists are looking fro places to use it.
0 Likes
TheHomespunLoft
Conversation Maker

I do a lot of craft shows and just take cash and checks- But did you know that most banks these days charge you to cash one of their checks? So, I am iffy about checks.
I did a blog post about it that might be interesting to some of you...

http://homespunloft.blogspot.com/2010/10/taking-checks-at-craft-show-new-bank.html
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just found out Square up has removed the 15 cent per transaction fee for swiped cards.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Do you have to have internet access to use square up?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Most devices are using the cell network to access, But with an iPad or Ipod touch you can use Wifi
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This is all very interesting. I'm nervous about taking local checks. I get their phone numbers but still am waiting to get "taken". I know it's a risk. But I like all the feedback on the upgraded phone options. I just have a plain old cell and am wanting to upgrade to something fancy. Now I know what to ask for. Thanks!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hey folks, Just something to think about.

I don't see comments in this thread about using old fashion Knuckle busters to take credit cards at shows, but I see a lot of comments in the Business section of this site about using them as a backup.

In our state you can NOT have a record of the transaction that shows all the numbers of the card. They should only show the last 4 digits of the card.

So taking an imprint of a credit card as a Back up is not allowed.
0 Likes

I take:

cash (always find out ahead of time where the nearest ATM is to refer people)

checks (never had a problem -- most people going to craft fairs are an honest lot. I've also figured in the rare "bad check" as cost of doing business. My bank does not charge for cashing checks.)

Credit -- Propay with knuckle cruncher . Never had a problem with rejected cards, but again I work the possibility in to "cost of doing business". I don't have fancy phone or I'd probably do square-up.

The added sales you get by accepting checks and credit cards more than makes up for the very rare occasion that you may get a bad check or card.
0 Likes

I use Authorize.net and accept cc on my iPhone. I can easily email the client a receipt if they wish, but they are generally fine with my running it on the phone. In fact, most are rather impressed. I've only had an issue when I did a show that was out of range with AT&T, so I simply took the information, had them sign and ran the cards at home. I love it and it's definitely increased my sales.
0 Likes

I have a merchant account which costs me $10/mo plus about 2.5 to 3% per transaction. It's been well worth it. I can disable it during months I'm not using it so I only use it about 6 mo/year.
But I just got an ipad with 3G and the Square. I'm going to try it out this season and it it works out well, i will probably lose the merch acct. I also take cash/checks. Most people use their cards though once they see I take them. They save their cash for the booths that don't. And my sales did go up when I started taking cards.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Here is a great description of square and how it can be used, Including use by the Girl Scouts.
http://video.foxnews.com/v/4633562
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just got the Square to use in my first craft show, and my husband did a practice swipe with his card. It seems to work great!!! I'm SO excited to be able to take cards at shows. I really think it will help sales. I know I'M more apt to buy if I can use a card. We have a Verizon Droid, which my husband LOVES. He's had it for over a year now with very little trouble, and he had NEVER had a phone last that long before.

I also accept cash and personal checks of course. =)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just upgraded to a smarty-pants phone just for the purpose of getting and using Square.
The unlimited data plan is only $20 more than my old plan (T-Mobile / AT&T)
I am also writing off the cost of the phone, plan and processing fees as business expenses on my taxes.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh, and there's an android/google app (Balance Book - $4.99) that lets me enter costs and sales and gives me a balance sheet - It also tracks sales taxes and shipping costs too.
LOVE them!
= >
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.