I found this through another team and wanted to share... (thanks Sarah!)

There is a company called "Peek" who does free video reviews of websites, generally 5 minutes long. You submit your shop URL to the site and within a few hours some random shopper goes through the site and points out it's strengths and weaknesses as they perceive them. It's a great video tool to see how a complete stranger looks at your site, and it's absolutely free! And it's pretty cool to see how someone else navigates your shop as you watch.
Here's the results I got from them after a review of my WornElements shop:

peek.usertesting.com/result/41749238722?autoplay=true

All you do is type your shop URL and email address and they email you back with the results. The site is here: peek.usertesting.com/

Re: A Free Shopper Testing of Your Etsy Shop

I've listening to several (from posted links), I don't get the value...random people assessing a shop and product that they have no interest in. One review I heard had no idea what Etsy was and spend much of the review trying to figure out that aspect of the website, another was for a product the reviewer had zero interest in and was guessing as to what interested shoppers might like - seriously, what is the value in that opinion?

If there was a way to filter the reviews/reviewers to particular niche markets, then I would get it.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

At least its another eye.......it cannot hurt, and the ones I have heard were informative.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Plus, another thing some etsy sellers believe that their shop is done, complete and professionally appealing........when often it is not.

Another eye, a shopper eye might be a way of helping them to perfect their shop layout.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

i just submitted and cannot wait to see what work i need to do to improve my shop :)
0 Likes

I got my reviews for both Etsy and my website. Both had a couple of good suggestions. It was an interesting perspective to see how one navigates and thinks of your site and seeing it through someone else's eyes. I actually made a some changes on my website. The etsy review liked my store here but said she would come back only because it's not her type of items. The lady who did my website, said her husband would really like the xl football pad I had and that she'd be coming back to look again. :)
0 Likes

I had my jewelry shop reviewed. My reviewer liked my shop but had a few negative comments on some Etsy features that I have no control over.
0 Likes

I am resubmitting too! I got a guy who critiqued etsy and 'wasn't into expensive, artsy, over priced handmade stuff'
0 Likes
PJCRAFTSWORLD
Registered Buyer

Not so sure im all that gung ho on this service. We submitted our website where hubby designs and sell counted cross stitch. The review was a guy who had no idea what he was looking at -he even said so. Not a cross stitcher. Not even sure what cross stitching is. All he kept saying is what is this what are you trying to do. While I admit our cross stitching website might need work, I don't believe it's as confusing as this guy seemed to be. At one point he said too many pictures. That's what we're selling pictures to be cross stitched. Anyway not sold on the review. Oh yes he said it's a niche product. I wanted to shout, of course it is. It's for cross stitchers. Not sold at all. Sure glad I didn't pay for this.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Again this morning from my other teamies I'm reading good things from this 'free' service.

IF you aren't pleased with the review, submit again.

etsy is competition, we all want to put our best foot forward.
0 Likes
WornElements
Registered Buyer

Exactly crudeco. And just because they've allowed me to, I now have gotten 4 reviews back. Three were very positive, 2 women and one man, and the other was a man who acted as if he'd never shopped online before, and jewelry was a foreign word to him. If I had a power tool or a beer site he would've related far better! As someone said in the beginning of this thread... DUH!
But that's the beauty of this. It doesn't cost, and it just MIGHT provide a helpful hint or two. Or maybe not, but no harm no foul. At the very least some of these clueless reviews are pretty funny, and a good chuckle is almost as enjoyable as a good review.
I did pick up a couple of pointers and I do plan to tweak future shop items just a little, and that alone to me is worth what is really an effortless attempt to make my shop better.
The "Peek" service does allow for a more in depth, 15 minute review for a fee, but then you are able to more or less choose the demographics of your reviewer. I doubt I'll do it, but if I did I wouldn't be offering my jewelry site up for consideration to someone from the other end of the spectrum from people I am targeting.
It's fun reading these reviews of the reviews, I'd like to see a few more videos, and definitely, if you aren't happy with the first one or they are complete idiots, try again, the results are almost certain to be different. And maybe even helpful.
0 Likes
SomeKindOfPretty
Inspiration Seeker

I submitted my store last night and I'm still waiting on the review. :-/
0 Likes

Me too Catheryn although they do say it can take a couple of days.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have all the time in the world, and I'm in no hurry.

I will accept what is reviewed by the shopper, even if I get some guy looking for ammo.
0 Likes

What a great service! I just submitted my website and can't wait to hear back!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well, she wasn't looking for ammo but she had no idea what Metaphysical was. She found one piece that she liked or would buy. And she kept trying to click on my banner/

She said, "I like the color of that foam stuff, how do I get to that"? Giggle.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

http://peek.usertesting.com/result/95771937676?autoplay=true

From my BoxesSquared.........and it was a live MAN, and he wasn't looking for ammo.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

0 Likes

Just signed up for one.
0 Likes

I just got my review and oh man...I didn't know that my pictures were THAT bad. He basically said that all of them were terrible.

For those of you not using etsy on phones or tablets, would you mind just taking a look at my pictures and telling me if they are too fuzzy?
Thanks so much I really appreciate it (and please be honest...don't sugarcoat it!!)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well, that's odd, I am looking them via my pc. But they don't seem fuzzy or blurry.

Olivia, try again for another review. If you got a man this last time try again ans see what happens.

Make a few adjustments then go....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Just got my review back for my other shop and I'm STILL laughing; poor guy had no idea my coasters were coasters from the photo! I don't think I agree with his suggestion to start all of my listing titles with 'tag' or 'coasters' to not confuse people, but he did point out that nowhere do I have a spot for people to custom order something. http://peek.usertesting.com/result/61373744833?autoplay=true

Also, he's the second one confused by the shop name. Is it really that weird?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing this info. I just requested mine. What do I have to lose? I would like to get a woman as I doubt a man would really want a wreath but I am sure I can learn something no matter what.
0 Likes

So I did two of these: one for my Etsy shop and one for my own website. The one for my own website was great--a woman with lots of insights. The one for my Etsy shop was hysterical! The guy basically said nothing except that my jewelry was "bizarre but cool!" So funny!

http://peek.usertesting.com/result/06276172136?autoplay=true
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

That's funny, Jennifer. Both the guys I had were very suave about etsy, guess I was lucky.

Its cool being a voyeur in our shops while someone is critiquing the over view of our layouts.
0 Likes
RomaMiaTradingCo
Inspiration Seeker

I got mine back and started watching it. The poor guy seemed clueless but he did make one good suggestion about my shop. I really should listen to the rest but I kept getting distracted by him keep saying "Well, um, I guess." Picky, I know. :P
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.