Getting to know each other

I like our little team because it's been a safe place to support and chat with each other and feels very personal.  I thought it would be fun to get to know each other a bit.  If you'd like, please share a bit about yourselves in what ever capacity that's comfortable?  I'll start:

My name is Nancy.  I'm a painter and art teacher living in California. Earlier in my life I'd paint but I never let anyone see my work unless it was something done for the public such as set designs. It felt so awkward showing something so personal publicly.  I got over this when I decided to start selling my art early in my career.  From there it's been a journey with lots of ups and downs which I am so thankful for.  I live with my family and four wonderful rescue dogs.  I support local animal rescue organizations.  We have one son in high school and the other has just started collage.  My favorite things to do are paint, enjoy time with my family and the other people I love, hike, swim, be in nature, read. ..... And of course laugh.  I love to laugh.  My little art business is my full time job.  I'm an advocate for keeping arts in the schools.  I work with local schools and administrators with this while teaching art to children and teens.  Boy, do I like kids and teens!  And periodically I teach art workshops for therapists which they use to help their patients.  This is very rewarding too.  That about sums it up.  I feel Etsy is special due to its amazing community made up of crafters and collectors.  Each I've connected with has taught me something new and wonderful.  I value the relationships I've made on this site.  

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
8 Replies
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

Re: Getting to know each other

@NancyQstudio What a sincere post, thank you, I'm touched v.v  I started this team when the new forum started, thought it would be nice to have a place to pop in any time to just hang out. I've never been in a team, it was a bold move, never been in a team and started a team, I was nervous but went ahead doing it anyway =]  It's been quiet but I'm grateful for the support and company of everyone who participate. This place does feel like a lounge that we can just pop in whenever we feel like coming in, sit around comfortably and just hang out. I like the atmosphere, it's truly a place we can feel free and at ease =] 

I'm kinda at a crossroad at the moment, I've come a full circle with what I do, I've started off doing illustration, greeting card, art print, then to wood art work and now coming back to where I started. I was hoping my T-shirts can take me to another level but I'm kind of stuck now, nothing much is happening. 

Art has always been a part of my life, I still remember when I was in kindergarten, they put me in a room to draw for the school when others were in their sing & play class. I don't remember how it started though, I mean what why how they picked me. I was doing posters and projects for school in later years too. I can't imagine what life is like if I can't draw, paint, create. I'm blessed and I appreciate that I have art in me all my life. 

1 Like

@Artbesico Well, thank you for starting this team!  :) It is nice to have a positive place to chat with other sellers. And I've really enjoyed going through your shop.  Your T-shirts are great!  I really do like your whimsical and artistic designs.  If you are at a crossroad, I wonder where that road will go?  It can be frightening and exciting all at the same time.  It's been my experience that creative people like yourself are alway evolving with their work.  

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@NancyQstudio Thank you for your kind words. At the moment, creativity wise I'm tempted to try experimenting on traditional drawing and painting rather than digital. I get excited when I see paintings, they are so rich in colours and texture. It has a lot more emotions in a painting than a digital illustration, it's more alive in a way. 

I'm at a crossroad is more about my situation, I might/very likely have to get myself back to the rat race and once I'm on a full time day job, I won't have time for my art work. I feel very sad about that.

0 Likes

@Artbesico  I love painting too!  I just love the feel, movement and control with it.  I hope you can keep doing your art.  It's very difficult for creatives to stop altogether which typically happens due to the necessities of life.  Are there creative jobs that require illustrating skills and such in you surrounding area? I was thinking about a marketing department which hires illustrators or contracts work with them.   If it is comfortable to teach, local schools might have it in their budgets for an art program?  Often these can get financial assistance from grants or parent school groups.  So sometimes they take planning and time to get going.  Cities sometimes have classes which artist contract to teach.   If you are close to a collage, working as a tutor for digital art/fine art classes might be a nice little side job too.  Are there art galleries within driving distance?  This might be a great place to work which can also inspire creativity.  Sometimes galleries and art centers will provide classes for customers and need teaching artists.  Art therapy is very important.  Although a higher degree in this subject is necessary to practice, artist assistants for care centers may not need them.  Businesses supporting special needs adults and children sometimes hire artists to work teach and work on site.   I'm brainstorming possibilities which might be relevant.  :)  I've found doing various part time artistic jobs all at one time can replace a full time professional salary.  Once it is determined which streams of work produces more income with better results and working relationships are established, others can be let go.   I hope this helps a bit.  If not, ignore the "work" stuff.  

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@NancyQstudio Thank you for your advice. I'm at a crossroad feeling a bit despair. I've kept trying, I feel like I keep picking myself up every time I fall down, I'm exhausted. I dread the thought of getting back to the rat race, I really really really don't like it = | 

0 Likes

@NancyQstudio @Artbesico Hi again.....I just replied in your other post..........so nice to share with people who love creating and sharing with others. That has always been my journey, have never been afraid to share because whatever medium I am using I have always believed in me.......my mother always said "there is no such thing as I can't" and that lesson has served me well.  Nice to see the two of you, I miss our chit chats!!!!!

1 Like

@ngeorgiou  That lesson is so powerful.  :)   I say the same thing to my kids.  The worst that can happen is we don't succeed in "one" thing.  From that, we grow and learn something new to better ourselves so we can succeed the next time.  I hope my children have your same feelings.   I'm so happy to hear from you Nina!

0 Likes
Artbesico
Conversation Maker

@ngeorgiou hi hope you are well and that everything is going well for you =]

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.