Do you get paid in CAD or USD?

My shop is in USD, but I was getting paid in CAD. What irritated me was that I had to list in CAD and Etsy would convert to USD. I didn't like how it made the pricing look funny and all over the map, i.e. $2.37, $3.12, etc. I wanted to set my own USD prices so I could control the marketing aspect, i.e. $2.95 as opposed to $3.

I switched the currency to USD, which allowed my initial price to be set in USD by me, but now funds are transferred to my PayPal account in USD, and my shipping label cost is also converted from CAD to USD.

So I was wondering how other Canadian sellers handled this. Any input as to what works best, and what is most economical. I suck at math so I definitely need help evaluating this, lol.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: Do you get paid in CAD or USD?

Great question, I have gone through the same process with my Etsy site.

I now sell in CAD . US clients are happy and I don't have to convert when entering sales.

0 Likes
GlassyEyed
Inspiration Seeker

I sell in USD and sales being paid with paypal go to the USD currency in my Paypal account. When I want to transfer money to my bank account I just transfer it to my CAD currency part of paypal.

Since very fee of my customers are Canadian, and with our dollar changing quite a bit I felt like I need more stability in my prices, so I switched to USD for that reason.
0 Likes

Most of my customers are in the US so I list in $US. Since I started doing that, my sales have noticeably increased. I leave some of the funds in Paypal in $US and have found many places to buy supplies that let you pay via Paypal (including Rio Grande). Unfortuanately when you convert from US to Canadian funds, the bank takes a commission of about 2.5%
0 Likes

Thanks everybody. Do any of you also use shipping labels? Just wondering what exchange rate they use to calculate... there must be a link somewhere, I should probably try to find it.
0 Likes

I use shipping labels, they are very convenient. The exchange rate changes from day to day, its pretty close to the current bank rate. It shows the cost in both $CA and $US before you order the label.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.