Please allow us to add a weight to our packaging options...

I would love to be able to add the weight of my packaging (box, bubble mailer, bubble wrap etc.) to the actual package option (where you enter your box/mailer sizes). It doesn't always work out when I add that weight into each item because if someone buys multiple items, the package weight is added in multiple times. If I adjust my product weights for someone who buys multiple items, then when someone only buys 1 item the weight is wrong again. I think being able to add the weight onto the package itself would solve so many troubles for so many sellers!!! PLEASE add this feature!!!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
2 Replies

Re: Please allow us to add a weight to our packaging options...

Elizabeth, this was asked yesterday on another thread on the new feature being added for members of the CS only.
Mirit from admin posted no plans to do this.

See below.
Link below post is on:
https://www.etsy.com/teams/23557/calculated-shipping-prototype/discuss/17634210/page/7

tony wadd from HAPPYHAPPYTOYSTOYS says:

MiritG

I was referring to Packaging (box etc) weights NOT item weights. As it stands today, when I post an item for sale I have to add weight to the item to account for the box & etc...

That makes no sense. There should be a way to add what the packaging weighs, alongside what its dimensions are, when adding boxes to calculated shipping. The way it is now ends up costing me money when it calculates things at a different weight than it actually will ship as.

I think you misunderstood my suggestion. I should have written clearer. My apologies.

Hi there!

Yup - we don't currently offer this feature and we don't have plans to add this in the near future. However, this is a really good point and I hope we add it!

Thanks,
Mirit
0 Likes

Re: Please allow us to add a weight to our packaging options...

This is what I do on items that are light-weight and items weighing over 1 lb.

Example. If you have items that weigh 1 lb 10-12 oz. (or any weight over 1 lb) do not round up & put 2 lbs for the weight since sometimes if multiples are bought both probably won't weigh 4 lbs nor weigh 3 lb 4 to 6 oz if you put the 1 lb. 10-12 oz weight.

If you can get 2 packed in a box for 3 lbs or less you can put 1 lb. 6-8 oz for the item weight.

For 1 item, shipping would still be correct & based on a 2 lb box & if 2 items are bought, shipping would also be correct.

It depends on what you sell but this method works extremely well for items in this shop and my vintage shop.

It works equally well on multiples of 3, 4, even up to 8 or 10 item orders.

I also do this on lightweight items.
If I have an item that weighs 1.8 oz. instead of rounding up to 2 oz. I'll put 1.5 oz, 1.75 oz or even 1.25 oz to get multiples to work.

You have to know what multiples weigh with a mailer/box for this to work right and not get undercharged.

I've been using this method since last March and CS has never undercharged shipping.
It might calculate on lightweight items 25-75 cents more but I use that for packing supplies and/or insurance.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.