Former_Member
Hi everyone,

Today, we added the ability for you to offer free shipping to your buyers using calculated shipping profiles!

Now, you may elect to either "Offer free domestic shipping" or "Offer free international shipping" below “Shipping services” while creating or editing your calculated profiles. See how that looks in the main calculated shipping help article here: https://www.etsy.com/help/article/6131

When you offer free shipping for an item, it will show as the default shipping method on the listing page. You may continue to offer all other shipping services, if you like. Buyers will have the opportunity to select them in the cart and will be charged accordingly.

If you choose to offer free shipping for your items, it will be up to you to determine how to ship them, as free shipping is not associated with a specific mail class. Items that have free shipping will not have their weight, size, or handling fee calculated for orders.

We look forward to hearing how free shipping works for you! Please share your feedback below.
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: New "Free Shipping" Option

Aunt Mayme, yep, that's what happened. I added all of those items to my cart and the window said Free Shipping and the drop down showed a Priority price.

These items add up to 24 ounces you say? I can't really figure this one out.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes

I'm thinking of Ricky Ricardo here...
0 Likes

Yes, Kathy, yes! You and I are on the same page!
0 Likes

I keep a spreadsheet of all my items and their respective weights. I did this before we had calculated shipping, and it was very easy for me to transfer over to the CS profiles this way. That's why I know the weight so well.
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

CS... you have some 'splainin' to do! Hahaha!
0 Likes

ROTFL Only because I can't do anything else right now. I'm heading for the fridge and the wine; the tea isn't working...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I'm getting ready to pour me some wine too!! Cheers!
0 Likes
CookieGrandma60
Conversation Maker

Cheers to you both!. I had about 3 oz. earlier. Ha!
0 Likes

So I'm not daft, right? You're understanding what my dilemma is, right? In the middle of all this, hopefully no one will buy all seven....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

It's horrible to hope not to get sales! But I've done it on occasion when things were really messed up.
0 Likes

I put them back to where they were. I do like the CS tool; I just wish it worked a little better. I don't have really small items to send; they are at least 2 oz, so I can't put those on "free".
0 Likes

Please, just don't get the crazy idea to allow buyers to sort search results by offering "Free Shipping" in the search menu. There is no such thing as free shipping, and it forces us to up our prices - but the problem is, we don't know how much to up our prices, because we don't know where the package is going. For those who only sell First Class items, it doesn't matter, but for those selling heavy things, the difference in cost between zone 1 and zone 8 can be astronomical.
0 Likes
KittiCorner
Inspiration Seeker

I agree with Laura.
There is no way to average out Priority shipping when figuring an item's price to include free shipping. I have tried and it failed. I do appreciate the lower cost by purchasing shipping through Etsy and offer those costs to the customer plus a very small handling charge to cover materials for packaging.
The customer still pays less than the retail post office rate.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Domestic - Free domestic shipping in USA. Does it consider across USA? or it just consider - Chicago, Denver, LA and NY- that shows under dropdown on Etsy while calculating the shipping cost? I offered free shipping for USA but still somehow Florida customer paid $6 shipping when it was free. Do you know how it works?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Domestic - Free domestic shipping in USA. Does it consider across USA? or it just consider - Chicago, Denver, LA and NY- that shows under dropdown on Etsy while calculating the shipping cost? I offered free shipping for USA but still somehow Florida customer paid $6 shipping when it was free. Do you know how it works?
0 Likes

It's the whole US. That drop down is just showing you one major city in each mail zone so you can see what your prices are across the US.

The way you have your shipping profile set up, it lets the customer upgrade to priority for $6.52 and express for around $25 (at least to my mail zone). Your customer must have chosen priority mail at check out.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

This issue is driving me crazy. I have a company that ships some of my items for me. I usually mark these as 'free shipping worldwide' and I mark up my items accordingly, because as we all know.. there is no "free shipping" when it comes down to it. My first question is this - If I mark 'free shipping domestic' but not for international - how does the fee settings work for this? Should I just keep marking them all free shipping worldwide? I know the extra cost that I will need to add, I would just hate to have to mark up all of my items in case someone international wants one. Still figuring all this out! TIA
0 Likes

Infinity, I would do a fixed price for international that pretty much covers the worst case price (I used Australia before calculated shipping). So in the price of the item, say you add $5 for US shipping. If shipping to Australia is $13, do a fixed price of $8 for "everywhere else." That way your US customers aren't paying international shipping fees, and your international customers aren't draining your profits.
0 Likes

Is this a question an answer board - I hope so - SHipping is hard for me to compute because of the zones - would love to offer Free Shipping more - but fine by biggest burn is on shipping - anyone any more ideas? I'm open

Patti

PS I am a veteran ETSY store owner - offer mostly vintage and craft supplies. Married 45 years, mother of 1, grandmother of 3, and pretending retiree - lol
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.