CS ignoring Regional Rate A package preference

I posted this in Bugs, also.

From the time I started using calculated shipping until just today, Regional Rate A boxes would be picked from my package preferences when that was the cheapest option for the client. However, today, it did not charge my client the Regional A price for a 2 lb package going to the further distance from me, but rather it picked the higher priced regular Priority Mail (Priority Mail box 1092) which ends up being a $2.00 difference. I have just checked all my listings that I measured my items specifically to fit into the Regional Rate A box if it was the least expensive option (I use size 12x10x2 as the item size) and now all those listings are not calculating for Regional Rate A pricing.

And while I know I can just use whatever box I want or refund the client for the overage however, this is the reason I chose to use CS so that I would not have to do refunds. Again, it has been working perfectly (including picking Regional Rate A boxes) until today. Hoping my CS gurus here might have an explanation!
:-)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
25 Replies

Re: CS ignoring Regional Rate A package preference

Chris
What did your item/box weigh?

Was it over 2 lbs?

If so, I'm not sure what the calculator didn't pick the A box.

Make sure you have the right A box selected since they are 2 sizes.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi Chris and Pat

If it has been picking the A box up until now and all of sudden stopped, that is weird. Not sure why that would happen.

The calculator picks my A box all the time for anything over 1 pound.
I hope you get an answer in bugs Chris because I don't know what that could be. For it to work and then stop. Obviously you have you set up right.
0 Likes

Hey guys!

Yes, CS used to pick the A box all the time and worked perfectly. I have not changed any shipping profiles or package preferences and yes, I have the correct A box size listed as it is the one it always picked for me. Plus, I have many current listings that have the exact same profile and when I go to test the zip code for shipping cost, it is not picking the A box but rather calculating the 2 lbs for regular priority.

If someone wants to check on their end, one listing is this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/250995991/vintage-70s-mod-purple-paisley-lounger?ref=shop_home_active_2...

The above listing has the exact same profile from another similar I sold (copied the sold listing) and that prior sold item was calculated for Regional A shipping cost.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the recent shipping labels upgrade because it seemed to work before then. Just speculating but this is frustrating especially since I was singing the praises of calculated shipping on the main forums. And now, well...

0 Likes

Chris,
I went to your item and it's only showing me one shipping cost $11.35 to my NC zip. I know the A box is $10.77 from east to west coast, so without knowing the weight or if you have a handling/packing fee. I don't know if this is correct.

I also added this item:
Vintage 70s Nelly Mexican Embroidered Caftan Dress and it's coming up $18.75.

Changed to a CA zip and for both items it's $11.15.

For the item you posted it's $7.75.
0 Likes

Hi Pat!

Thank you for checking on this!

The weight is 1.6 lbs and I charge no handling fee for Priority mailings.
So, yes, the weight to New York from me should be $10.77 for it to fit into a A box.

I have checked other sold items recently and the last one that CS did correctly by putting it into a Regional A box had the same weight, dimensions and profile as the listing you just checked.

So for those two items, CS is putting those into the Flat Rate Large box which would be correct. However, why is it not picking the A box for just the one item now, that's the problem. I'm sure folks are seeing some high rates of shipping for me now, which is troublesome because I don't know what to do. I would hate to have to start from scratch with setting it up and not knowing if that would even help.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I bumped you up in the forums Chris - I think only admin can help with this problem. I have no idea why this is happening all of a sudden.
0 Likes

Thanks Kathy and Pat! I have sent a message to Etsy Support so we'll see if they respond. This is maddening!
0 Likes

Chris, I noticed Marie Kelly replied on the bug post and said she would follow up with you.

Please let us know what happened.
0 Likes

Just saw that and thanked her. Thanks for checking in for me, Pat! Yes, I will let you all know what happens.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Chris, so glad they are looking into this for you. That was pretty fast to get a response. We will be interested to hear what the problem is. Hope it gets fixed fast.
0 Likes

Well, I've heard nothing yet. I'm tinkering around with the package preferences and can't figure out why CS is bypassing the Regional Rate A box altogether. I'm hoping this isn't having an effect on my shop as shipping rates look so high if it's going across the country, almost $2 more. Hope it's not keeping people away. I even tested a Profile for Regional Rate A for a listing and CS is completely ignoring it.

I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Chris, just a shot in the dark here. Have you tried getting rid of box A from your package preferences and then adding it again?

I use box A all the time (the other one, not the size you use) but I got two orders last night and they were put into box A just like always, so it's something particular to your shop - not site wide.
0 Likes

Kathy - I will try that, thank you.

I was avoiding doing that as the last time I had trouble with CS (the Flat Rate Envelope, if you remember) I deleted the FRE package preference and added it back in again to see if that would help. Then, Admin said that they saw I had JUST added the FRE so that is why it wasn't calculating my orders for FRE because I hadn't had that preference listed. Which, as we know, was not the case as I had had FRE in there all along. They only saw it as JUST added. They never did address that problem either so I tinkered with the listings until I got them to work.

Guess I'm on my own with this yet again.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Chris, I've contacted them with anomalies before, and usually I get back, hmm, you're right, we don't know why that's happening, we will look into it. But it doesn't get fixed. Luckily for me it's been nothing I encounter on a regular basis.

But this is really vital for you. You should not hesitate to write to them again in my opinion. And you might as well go ahead and try what you can on your end - then tell them what you did, and that this was not just added - you just tried reading it to see if that would jump start the system.

I feel for you.
0 Likes

Thanks, Kathy! I'm pulling my hair out!

I removed the preference and put it back in again and it still did not work.

Then, I decided to switch to "Etsy Pricing" rather than "Retail Rates" under "Shipping Rates" and low and behold it correctly uses $10.77 for the Regional Rate A box. I use "Retail Rates" so I can accommodate for packaging tissue, labels, insurance, etc. rather than add packaging fees to my profiles. I had not changed this until today just to see. So, from this looks of things this means I will NOT be able to use Retail Rates in order for Regional A box to be chosen. Instead, I suppose I will have to add a handling fee to offset what the retail rates did for me.

Don't think I should have to do this since they state you can use either shipping rates method and still be able to use all the boxes listed in the package preferences and have them work.

I'm beyond annoyed at this point. Wasting listing time have to deal with this.

Marie wrote that they are sorry for the delay and someone will get back with me. Won't hold my breath.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Chris, if you could see me you would see me slapping my head.

When they changed the rates on the 1/17 the USPS also went all retail online - so they also eliminated the regional boxes on their site - you can no longer print postage online with USPS for the regional boxes.

Therefore, it makes sense that there is no way to figure a retail regional rate.

What I don't understand is why Etsy wouldn't know this and be able to tell you this right away. I take it you only found this by accident.

I'm glad you figured it out, but sorry Etsy didn't give you the answer immediately.

I'm also glad we know this so we can help anyone else with the problem.

Chris, actually, using the Etsy rates and adding a fee to your boxes really works well. That way the fee only goes on once per box.

Thanks for letting us know.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh and Chris, I couldn't resist - I just posted in Bugs on your thread there explaining what is happening - a note to Etsy's shipping team of what is happening that perhaps they should post some sort of note to people choosing to include regional boxes in package preferences.

I mean please, the answer is obvious now thanks to you experimenting.
Just wanted you to know Chris.
0 Likes

You're a doll, Kathy! Don't hit your head too hard as I received an email from Admin.

I'm banging my head on my desk.

They stated for the one order going to CT, the Regional Box A would have cost $13.02 as opposed to the $12.40 CS charged for the Priority mail. This is why this was selected.

And for the other order going to Colorado, the Priority rate was $7.75, while the Regional Box A rate was $8.85, so priority was selected.

My zip code is 85654. I just check again the USPS Website shipping calculator and no where can I find the shipping costs they arrived at for Regional A pricing. The highest price for Regional Rate A box I can see is $10.77 going to NY. Again, I have no handling fees whatsoever on these orders. Also, you can see the "Click'N'Ship" price for Regional boxes on the USPS website.

I wrote back and explained what I found when I changed from Post Office Retail Rates to Etsy Shipping Rates and that it is using $10.77 max price for Regional A.

Confused now more than ever.

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Chris, I do believe that if you bring a regional rate box to the PO for postage they put an additional charge on it because it is a commercial rate only. So maybe Etsy was going by that price since you had retail set.

But honestly, for them not to realize why his problem occurred is a bit frustrating.

I wonder if any of them will read my post in bugs for the answer.

Don't despair Chris, the answer is that you need etsy prices checked in order to get the commercial regional box rate.

Even if admin doesn't know that.
0 Likes

That's probably true, Kathy, about Post Office charging additional if you were to bring in the RRA boxes to them needing the postage. This is so confusing and something that could have easily been clarified.

Apparently my only option is using Etsy pricing. However, for those who haven't realized this yet or haven't noticed, they will be in for a shock if they are using Post Office Retail prices in their profile and wonder why the price is higher than if they were to buy on the USPS Click'n'Ship Online postage.

I would be amazed at this point if any of them read your post, Kathy!

My head hurts....

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I agree Chris. It's messed up. I didn't know that click n ship had been fixed to include regional rate until I read ByGone's post in bugs. So now, the fact that etsy CS is charging more than on USPS is really bad. It means that CS needs to be fixed.

I'm on my iPad tonight so tomorrow I'm going to do some more checking on my laptop.
0 Likes

I truly appreciate your help and support, Kathy! Messed up is a polite word for how I'm feeling about all this right about now. I've wasted nearly two days trying to figure this out. Time that would have been better spent doing listings and taking photographs.

Appreciate you checking on this tomorrow. Maybe you'll discover something else!

Need to go put a cold compress on my forehead from the head banging on my desk today. :-)

Have a nice glass of wine...I'm needing a least a bottle right now.

0 Likes

Saw your posts, Kathy, and thank you for posting them. Hopefully this will get seen by folks having the same issue and are completely unaware on how to fix it.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Chris, I do hope you have a better day today.

I do wish someone from the shipping team would post something about this, but I seriously doubt that they will.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.