Highlighted
CarolinaHats
Registered Member

1099 Received Different From What is on ETSY

I just received my 1099 from ETSY.  I went back and checked the information contained under Taxpayer ID on the system and December is different.  Every other month matches exactly.  These numbers matched in prior years.

2 Likes
15 Replies
knitwit4ever
Registered Member

Re: 1099 Received Different From What is on ETSY

I believe they SHOULD match exactly, CH.  The only thing I can think of is a sale occurred in the last hours of December that is shown on Jan 2019 instead?  If that doesn't explain the difference, you need to ask Etsy for the explanation!

0 Likes
GRITSGirlz
Registered Member

The 1099 should match your Taxpayer ID totals for 2018.  The 1099 also foots to the Etsy Payments Sales CSV available at Shop Manager > Settings > Options and click on Download Data.  I'd download the CSV and run a quick total to compare.

0 Likes
CarolinaHats
Registered Member

I went in and ran the report you suggested and that does equal the Taxpayer ID information on the system and neither of these numbers match the 1099.  

0 Likes
CraftyCornishMaids
Registered Member

If you have standalone paypal, the 1099 does not include those,

if you are looking at the citcles, they have "display errors" for June and December

0 Likes
GRITSGirlz
Registered Member

OP checked against her Taxpayer ID, which is the appropriate place for US shops.

0 Likes
AlegriaCollection
Registered Member

The problem, at least in my case, is that Etsy included in my gross income sales taxes it collected on two sales I made to Australia and Minnesota in the month of December.  This, of course, is wrong because I didn't receive those funds, nor am I required to collect or file sales taxes in Australia and MN.  I've emailed Etsy pointing out the error and requesting a corrected 1099.  So far, no word, but I assume it's because they are very busy at this time of year, and being that I'm sure we here aren't the only ones with the problem and that they are required by law to report the correct amount of gross income to the IRS, they must be working on resolving it.  Fingers crossed :)

2 Likes
ElunaJewelry
Registered Member

Double check sales tax that was sent to other states. See if that accounts for your differences. 

1 Like
BedsnBlankies
Registered Member

I just received my 1099 and December is incorrect, too.  It includes the marketplace sales tax that Etsy collected as part of my income.  All the other months are accurate. 

1 Like
GRITSGirlz
Registered Member

So it sounds like 1099s went out incorrect.  Seems like this happened last year too.

0 Likes
CherylWasilowArt
Registered Member

Could this trigger an IRS audit? 

0 Likes
GreenStreetMosaics
Registered Member

My 1099 does not match what my taxpayer ID page says for December, 2018 also. 

How did you figure out where the extra money is coming from? Did you manually add up the orders where ETSY is collecting sales tax and remitting on our behalf? 

0 Likes
CherylWasilowArt
Registered Member

Where is that information on what Etsy paid on our behalf on certain orders where they collected sales tax and is that considered income we must report?? How is that reported on our US income tax?? thanks

0 Likes
AlegriaCollection
Registered Member

Lauren, look at your payment account for December and see if you have sales with odd figures, ending in cents rather than round numbers.  That's how I found mine.

1 Like
BlackSheepDyeworks
Registered Member

Ugh, same here - my 1099 amount for Dec 2018 does not match my taxpayer ID amount for Dec 2018.  In my case, it's off by $17.76 (greater on my 1099 vs the taxpayer ID page).  This does not match the taxes collected/submitted by Etsy on my behalf for Dec, and doesn't correspond to a sale on Dec 31 that perhaps could be credited to Jan 1.

@GRITSGirlz, do you remember if Etsy mailed corrected 1099s last year?

It's so frustrating that Etsy doesn't seem to understand the importance that all representations of financial data (whether reports, displayed on screen, CSV data, 1099, etc) must match/be reconcilable!

3 Likes

If you're experiencing discrepancies with your 1099, can you reach out to us directly over email and we'd be happy to review this with you right away. In the meantime, since these sorts of issues will need to be handled over email, I'm going to close up this report.

https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/115013375488

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.