Former_Member
Not applicable

Making custom orders from convos

At the last meeting we talked a bit about the new button that lets you start a custom order from a conversation. In case anyone is curious how it works, I just did one and after I pressed that button, I was able to set up a listing (add a photo, description, price, shipping cost and time), and when I was done, it was published as a private listing and the person I was convo'ing with was sent a message.

I think it's neat because the custom listing doesn't show up in my shop- I can only see it if I look at my listings settings. So that should eliminate any problems with other people accidentally buying orders that are meant for other people (not that I've had that problem, but I've heard of it). I don't know if you can make a private listing through the usual route of adding a new item.

Also, I think we talked about people being able to request custom orders from items in your shop and how that might be a problem if you can't make that item into a custom order. I just noticed that there is a checkbox in the item listing settings that you can uncheck if you don't want people to be able to request a custom order from a particular item.
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
5 Replies

Re: Making custom orders from convos

I just did my first "Custom order from convo" too.... and it worked out great. When you click "create custom order" the editing box comes up. You can still save as a draft, or publish. As soon as you publish the listing, the buyer is sent a notification email. From the seller side, it does NOT show up in your public shop and instead stays private between you and the buyer. once purchased, the listing DOES show up in your public "sold items" page.

Also - yes! I think i just didn't notice the checkbox. =) whoops!
1 Like

You're reading my mind...I was just going to ask if people are having success with this "new" process. I'm still a bit unsure that I want to do this so I'm hoping others will write in with their stories. I do take custom orders, but lately these requests are all off Etsy. I would love to bring this back up at another meeting soon...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

They can also request custom orders from items that have already been sold, which I see as a huge problem. That was a fun conversation to have with a former prospective customer "unfortunately, this item has been sold..."

0 Likes

I've noticed a big increase in the amount of custom order requests I've received since this went into effect. And every single one turned into a sale, so ... I love it!
0 Likes
GreatHat
Crafty Poster

Make sure not to do any custom work before it is paid for and be sure to include in the listing your return policy. I had one customer annoyed because I wanted her to check out before I made her custom order! My question to Etsy is why can't they continue to let us post a photo in the custom listing...or at least come up with a better logo than that little line drawing that looks like some kind of error message. I know I can go back into the listing after it is made and change the photo but why is this extra step an improvement?

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.