gimmethatthing
Inspiration Seeker

The Folksy Revolt - join us

Too many Folksy sellers have been stung by the new definiton of 'handmade' and are now refered to as merely 'assemblers'. People's livelihoods and self confidence are already being hit.

In support of these sellers and to show our dissatisfaction many of us are putting our Follksy shops on holiday mode for a week and would really appreciate you doing so too.

Join our Facebook group - The Assemblers Revolt - and show your support.
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=162108640538549
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
38 Replies

Re: The Folksy Revolt - join us

I like the sound of this... how do I 'attend' the event? Do I need to be invited?
0 Likes

Never mind, I was on Facebook as my page, lol! Sorted!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think I'm going to close my Folksy shop and stick to Etsy. I know it's easy to get overlooked on Etsy as it's much larger but generally I like the community feel here. I also find Etsy clear and much easier to manage.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Folksy has been of no help to me whatsoever, so I fully support your proposition!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well worth supporting!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I decided to put myself on holiday over there this afternoon so I'm certainly joining in...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ditto, buttonalia.
My shop closed a few weeks ago.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I originally considered selling on Folksy but when I saw their fee was 20p to list and 5% of the sale price (compared to Etsy's 14p to list and 3.5% of sale price) it was a no brainer and I just picked Etsy.

Hopefully Folksy will notice the strike and reverse this recent decision.
0 Likes

I have just made the decision to delist from Folksy and sell here from now on. There were a number of factors, time, economics, I do feel Etsy gives more for the buck with shop stats and treasuries etc, but I probably wouldn't have made the decision quite so soon.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Sorry to see you leave too aprils...I've closed on there too. I don't think I'll be back there any time soon even on the forums - its all left a bit of a bad taste....
0 Likes
gimmethatthing
Inspiration Seeker

I'm not closing mine but I am in holiday mode for both my shops and oddly they are now getting more viewings! Go figure! Thanks for your support everyone. I doubt it will make a difference to the decision of Folksy management but it's definitely a way to make a stand of solidarity!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Joining the cause now. I was thinking of letting it run its course when these listings have expired, like everyone, dont think the community vibe is as good as here and lots of views, not one sale? Feel bad for the sellers who have been accused of assembling, what cheek!

Join in everyone, lets all have a holiday!! x
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Very, VERY closed on Folksy...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Was thinking of selling on Folksy but you've put me right off. Don't want to be an assembler....
0 Likes

I was going to put more effort into folksy until I saw all this, I'm able to now. I do call my jewellery hand assembled sometimes.. maybe i shouldn't.
0 Likes

I spoke to one of the Folksy organisers last weekend at the Mini Makers Faire in Brightob and they said they are working on making things better for us sellers and updating things but I have only sold 2 items on there in about 2 years! I think I shall go on holiday for a week too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Have just sent a message to admin to ask in my items are "acceptable", will be interested to hear what they have to say. I'm confident about my beadwoven pieces but worried about my lucite earrings (even though all the earwires are handmade!)

Does anyone know, if I put my shop in holiday mode, can admin still see my pieces to advise me if I "fit" or not?

Ironically, I'd just renewed some of my expired listings when I saw this post.....
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oh what a *complete* twit I am, please excuse the stupid question in the above post!!!!!

Have just remembered that all your items are still visible on Folksy when you're in holiday mode.....

Just going over there now to do it:)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I am sorry to read this thread. I decided to open here first because it seemed to have a bigger market and actually, I prefer the 'look' of Etsy. The Folksy website has always looked just a tad 'handmade' if that makes sense!
I had intended to open on Folksy soonish though, now I have cut my teeth here, in an effort to attract a bigger British market. Frankly however, I don't think I will bother! I think that's quite sad because I did want to support a British venture.
0 Likes
alidufty
Inspiration Seeker

Uh oh!I
I decided to open shop on Folksy about two weeks ago, after reading various threads in favour of it!! Also, being rather despondant at sales( and viewings) drastically dropping off here on Etsy in the last 6 months ! :( If I had known this latest Folksy news .... an assembler of products ???!! kinda demeaning huh??, I probably wouldn't have rushed into opening there. Although I've had more viewings on Folksy, I wondered if that was down to being a 'newbie' !!!?? ha! who know's!!?? Frustrating times!!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Ali - I would be interested to know how it goes over there. Perhaps you will see a huge surge in sales, in which case I will be rushing to join you!
0 Likes
alidufty
Inspiration Seeker

HI pennyfarthing,
I'll certainly give you the heads up when I'm buried in orders... here or there !!!??? lol !
PS, love your items ;)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I was on folksy for a couple of weeks a while ago, I found it dissatisfactory and closed.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

LOL I'd only just started to rewake my folksy shop, but my goodness it feels nasty right now.

someone said earlier about fees being more - I don't think it works out very different actually, because we pay a higher whack on paypal for accepting $$.

It is much much easier for me to be found here though, don't understand why really, makes no difference which of my three venues I promote, peole insist on coming here.

although not often enough of course ;-)
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.