OCTOBER IS HERE!!

October is the tenth month of the year in the Julian and Gregorian Calendars and one of seven months with a length of 31 days.
The eighth month in the old Roman calendar, October retained its name (from the Latin "octo" meaning "eight") after January and February were inserted into the calendar that had originally been created by the Romans.

October is commonly associated with the season of autumn in the Northern hemisphere and spring in the Southern hemisphere, where it is the seasonal equivalent to April in the Northern hemisphere and vice versa.

In common years January starts on the same day of the week as October, but no other month starts on the same day of the week as October in leap years. October ends on the same day of the week as February every year and January in common years only. In leap years, October starts on the same day as August of the previous year.

October's birthstone is the opal. It is said that the opal will crack if it is worn by someone who was not born in October.
Its birth flower is the calendula.
The Zodiac sign for those born in this month is either Libra or Scorpio, depending on which day you were born.

Halloween (or Hallowe'en) is an annual holiday observed on October 31, which commonly includes activities such as trick-or-treating, attending costume parties, carving jack-o'-lanterns, bonfires, apple bobbing, visiting haunted attractions, playing pranks, telling scary stories, and watching horror films.

Let the chatting commence :)
AlteredEras
Inspiration Seeker

Re: *** OCTOBER CHAT THREAD ***

thats cool Claire :)

If everybody wants to start making team treasuries then by all means start a thread about.

Actually do a search 1st about - somewhere in the back of my mind theres a thought there is one...

just surfaced for a moment - going back to sleep... feel wiped out...
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hery take it wasy Paula.

Butterflysue - you can block your work with cold water in a spray even if its acrylic just dont drown it though lol!!

shalotte, I'm up for a challenge for the treasury, but never done one before!!!
0 Likes

Hello, just running in to let you all know that I will be donating 20% off all sales made in my store this month to the Charlotte Booth appeal - http://www.charlotteboothappeal.co.uk/

0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I found the thread but it was closed in June. I've started a new one to find out how many folks are interested
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

here we are.

Its traditional to do it every week or every fortnight.
http://www.etsy.com/teams/6966/british-sellers-on-etsy/discuss/9119316/
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I just wanted to share that after what feels like forever I had my first etsy sale today....for a card costing just £2 and realised when I posted it that I had undercharged on postage.
BUT it doesn't matter because I am just so happy to have made a sale and I can review my postage costs for the future.
YAY! : )
0 Likes

CONGRADULATION HOH!!!

Thats a very unusual proposal but i like it very new age!

Thank you Andia -always nice to hear :)

I'd be up for team treasuries not done a team type one so how does it work with regards to the challange bit?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I need to spend the evening knitting to catch up, I have listed a couple of items a day over the past few days and need to get some more done so I can continue......so clickety click, clickety click, then I need to bribe my son to let me take pictures again tomorrow, now that should be fun, so I'm hoping for a dry bright afternoon tomorrow, and a not so stroppy son, do you think thats possible?
Then all being well I can go yarn shopping for some new colours, any ideas or suggestions on new colours?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

sorry forgot to add yay for the 1st sale and I hope you have many more kitsnbits.
and congratulations on the proposal HOH how exciting
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well orange is good, as is rusty brown and maroon. Blue is delightful in any weather and I personally think that grey can be really beautiful as can tweed.

Simon I made a new thread for the challenges here
http://www.etsy.com/teams/6966/british-sellers-on-etsy/discuss/9119316/page/1/

Clair the Q is are you going to get your ring/rings from Etsy?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

My engagement ring is not from etsy but I intent to get the wedding bands and lots of other goodies from etsy. U will have to keep an eye out for stuff I heart :-)
0 Likes

Congratulations HoH I'm so excited for you, cannot wait until the day I get to plan my wedding through etsy!! That is such a cute way to propose and I love that he got you a Ps3 game as a present the other day. One of my best days ever was to come home after a looong week at work on a friday to Lego, Pirates of the Carribean! Got to play it all weekend aswell!
Anyway Congratulations again!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've had a busy day today, my son had an early b'day pres yesterday, he got his new big boy bike (his grandma let him have it early so it didn't overshadow everyone elses pressies) so we have been out most of the day running after him on his runnaway bike lol.

I've also got myself a place at a craft fair in November, my first since being back in the UK, I'm really excited.

I've also agreed to teach a knitting class to a craft group that I've never met before, oh I do have a habbit of throwing myself in at the deep end.

It will be my son's 5th Birthday on Sunday so I will have a pretty hectic weekend, so I have to cram in as much knitting as I possible can, November is not far away..........can I panic now ARRGGGG!
0 Likes

Your knitting class should be fun. It doesn't have to be too serious I assume. Just think of it as advertising because you can talk about your Etsy shop.

Its frightening where this year has gone.
0 Likes

For any North East based etsians or those planning a trip this week Design Event NE is in full swing, It kicked off last night with Design Event Mart, there was some amazing design work on display!

i myself will be taking part in the Designers Marketplace all weekend at The Holy Biscuit so anyone in the area come and say hello!!!

Now off to makesure i have everything packed and ready to go first thing in the morning.

ps: Last night i developed a cold out of nowhere - just sat watching RED and BAM! nose started dripping! and it hasn't stopped all day at work :( cry
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes, how the Hades did it get to be October. I still remember a party I went to last july like it was yesterday.

I finished some of my stockings for TB and managed to send the pics to Lennie.

It took me 9 attempts to get my email server to send the mail. It kept saying I was out of space and to delete some things so I deleted my trash, sentbox,treasurybox,drafts box and now have only 6 pages of really important emails and it still wouldn't send!. I ended up sending them via our backup hotmail account.

I'm thinking of maybe doing some as little victorian granny boots and turkish slippers
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Good luck Simon!

Shalotte, turkish slippers sound interesting.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Goodluck at the Holy Biscuit Simon. I just googled it to see some photos and it looks like an amazing venue!

I survived my first 3 days at work despite having to jam so much new information in to my head. Husband to be has been really supportive helping me transition into the 12 hour working day (including travel time to and from work). He even cooked an evening meal one night when I had no energy left to feed us.

I'm still slowly working on my crochet cushion covers for the sofa. Its nice to crochet in front of the TV. I've also started sketching again as a way to chill out in the evenings. But its been so long I'm really out of practice.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Well done Rosie. It will take time for you to get back into the swing of working but I'm sure you'll get into it soon.

I made a new thread for the team Treasury Challenge.
http://www.etsy.com/teams/6966/british-sellers-on-etsy/discuss/9134106/page/1/?post_id=102991526
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Oooh treasury challenge. I must have a go at this :)
0 Likes

I don't know who I have to thank (I believe it's nuvonova) But whoever it is thank you for featuring my work in the Halloween article on the team blog!

http://britishsellersonetsy.blogspot.com/2011/10/halloween.html

Congrats Sugar on surviving in your first 3 days!!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Yes its Novonova who manages the blog
0 Likes
AlteredEras
Inspiration Seeker

**************************** CHEEKY AD BREAK ******************************

Hello everyone - STILL under the weather with my mouth but really trying to work through it as I wont get any treatment for 4 weeks as it stands at the moment...

Anyway, as I am taking a break from Monday onwards this is the last couple of days to buy my halloween pieces. They are already on sale but if you buy the charm bracelet - http://www.etsy.com/listing/82966926/on-sale-till-16th-oct-halloween-charm

I will send to you a matching halloween pin/brooch free - http://www.etsy.com/listing/55325379/on-sale-till-16th-oct-halloween-brooch

Furthermore, if you buy either the orange pin above or the purple one here - http://www.etsy.com/listing/82965608/on-sale-till-16th-oct-halloween-brooch
then I will send you a free pair of matching earrings!!

BARGAINS to be sure as these are all already reduced by 10%

Thanks for looking - now normal programmes can resume!!
**********************************************************************************
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I've been lucky to get featured in this beautiful treasury. Let's all visit and love items.

http://www.etsy.com/treasury/MTAzNjR8ODkyNjYwMzk2/grey-days-in-the-uk
0 Likes

Hi. Why is is that when I try to go to the team FB page I always get redirected to my own homepage? Is there a glitch? TIA.
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.