Former_Member
Not applicable

How do I promote my shop?

Hello, I'm new to etsy and I was wondering if anyone had any sugestions on how to promote your shop?
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
23 Replies
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re: How do I promote my shop?

Hi Gracescrafts

I've been on Etsy for about a year now but this is the first real effort I've made to get my shop up and running. I am yet to make a sale but I have been reading up on all the articles in the community section about how to promote my shop.
Starting this group I thought would be a useful way to get British sellers chatting to each other.
They tips I have picked up so far are to make sure your photography is as good as possible, to include lots of tags, one member said I needed to have more items in my shop, so I'm working on building my inventory and to become involved in the Etsy Community.
If any other members have some advice it would be great to hear it :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks.Do you have another way to sell your items?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I do have a website http://www.clscreations.co.uk which I'm in the middle of revamping, and I did sell some bags on Ebay previously. I also go to local craft fairs and things like that.
0 Likes

What everybody has told me is that one of the best ways to promote yourself, is through the internet, especially through sites such as facebook and twitter. I have a blog i've just started and a website and when I have time I'm going to start a facebook page. You can then add promotions and stuff like that, which is what I'm planning to do. Who knows whether it will help though, but there's no harm in trying :-)

Also I've found through the art and craft fairs I do loads of people pick up business cards as well. I've come to realise there's no harm in self promotion, which was a bit strange to me before I started doing this!

http://loulabellecouture.wordpress.com/
www.loulabellecouture.co.uk
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Thanks a lot, really given me something to think about.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

all of the above and list items regularly here on Etsy, it takes a while to get established, but if you keep on plugging away, you will get your name and your shop known.
Most of my sales last year came from Twitter, it's a great marketing tool and I highly recommend it.
I've not really got into selling this year, as I work full time, have a 4 year old and there just doesn't seem the time for me, but I'm keeping my name out there, as the more people see your shop name, the more they will remember you, you need to brand your items, and so you need to stay active and visible.
0 Likes

I update my facebook page facebook.com/supremilyjewellery as much as possible but am yet to use twitter or regularly write a blog. I sell at local markets and have had my work displayed in an art gallery and it is also currently exhibiting in an arts centre in stockton on tees called ARC. As bijouxboutique says before me, keep plugging away and adding new things to your shop. I have heard its best to list one or two new items every day or couple of days on an evening time.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think my Facebook page is invaluable. I think I get more referrals to my Etsy page from Facebook than anywhere else at the moment.
I'm still working on Twitter and am building up my followers slowly.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have a Twitter, FB and Blogger account but I find promoting very time-consuming. If you have the time I think it is the way to go. The more visible your items the better.
On Etsy, I usually relist or list one item per day after 4pm as that seems to be a busy time. If you don't have a new item, relisting puts you higher up the list for a while thus making you more visible.
I have had a steady trade since I opened in August 2009, averaging 2 sales per week which is not mind-blowing but I sell elsewhere and it all adds up.
Margaret
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I think Twitter is an amazing way of getting your name and work out there! I've only just started selling but I've had a lot of views and I think that that's all from me tweeting about my products :)

Although you have to be careful that you don't "spam" people's newsfeeds with too much promotion...just the odd etsy update every now and then amongst personal tweets.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow thats a lot of suggestions. Thanks for all the encouragement.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Re-listing after 4 o'clock? Thats useful info I've always wondered what time is best.Also now considering setting up facebook page but how long does it take?
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I facebook page doesn't take very long at all, and you can always keep adding to it. 15 mins tops, depends how many photo's you want to put on.

Remember to add your Facebook page to the thread on here so other's can 'like' your page if they wish too. Encourage your friends to share your page on their profile too.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Also regarding timing, I read an article that suggested using the google world clock so you can see what time it is in America and other places, I listed something at midnight last night that was around 7ish in New York and I have 14 hits in a matter of seconds!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

You can set up a shop with pavement (application name) on Facebook. It's totally free and people can purchase your items right there and then.

Also, I’ve signed up with DaWanda, which is the German equivalent of Etsy. Don't worry, it's all in English and in fact there are quite a few UK sellers on there as well.

For anyone who lives in the South East like me. Try the Brighton Collective, free to register and they organise bigger events in Brighton for their designers to showcase.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Hi KFdesign

I hadn't heard of that Facebook application, but it's a great tip I'm going to check it out. Thanks :)
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

The etsy app is great if u have a facebook page. It can be found on 'your etsy' page near the bottom on the left hand side. It means that everytime u list a new item it automatically shows on your facebook page (in it's own tab) then u can just mention new items listed on facebook so it appears in peoples newsfeed.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Sell your stuff on:
Ebay
Artfire
Folksy

Promote it on:
Kaboodle
Twitter
Facebook (have a fan page for your stuff and don't forget to link it to your Etsy shop)

Post pictures and links on:
Flickr
Photobucket

Create a portfolio with links on:
Deviant Art
Risecreatives
Artreview
Absolute Arts
Creatist
Model Mayhem
Saachi Online
Noisefest
(You have to apply to some of these)

Create a free flash website with Wix and buy a domain with 123 reg (they're the cheapest depending on your domain name)

Its very time consuming but worth it in the end - I have another Etsy shop which sells Steampunk jewellery http://www.etsy.com/shop/spankyOspangler and which ahas been selling well since I started using these :D

Good Luck
Denise
0 Likes
ARCHIVES
Inspiration Seeker

Oh my, digitalOgeishaOart, you are one super sorted girl!
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Wow, I'll start on the list after xmas. Thanks so much.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

you are one organised girl digitalOgeishaOart - I like it!

Have you had many sales through Folksy? I've considered going on there as well, but Etsy takes up so much of my time...
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

I have just read the advice posted by digitalOgeishaOart on promoting your work so I am now going to check out some of the suggestions.
Thank you
0 Likes
AlteredEras
Inspiration Seeker

Just closing old threads. Dont mind me!
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.