Highlighted
itsabannerlife
Community Member

Guess I will have to cave and do Free Shipping, shop getting lost in the search

Tried the Free Shipping orders over $35, that accomplished nothing. My listing are being pushed further back when I was always on page 1 & 2. I guess I have to do Free Shipping in order to be seen????  can someone tell me how raising my prices .03 cent will off set the free shipping that Etsy is suggesting? I really don't understand this. Thanks!

3 Likes
26 Replies
maydaylabels
Community Member

Re: Guess I will have to cave and do Free Shipping, shop getting lost in the search

I don't see any advantage in the searches I follow for Free Shipping vs Free Shipping for orders over $35.  

0 Likes
itsabannerlife
Community Member

Re: Guess I will have to cave and do Free Shipping, shop getting lost in the search

In the area I list, there are two shops who have the first pages pretty much to them selves and are offering Free Shipping. I used to be seen there also but not anymore, I have one item on page 2 and then nothing until page 4! its very discouraging and sure takes the desire to create more and shoves it right out the window.

1 Like
ZehOriginalArt
Community Member

@itsabannerlife wrote:

can someone tell me how raising my prices .03 cent will off set the free shipping that Etsy is suggesting? I really don't understand this. Thanks!

It probably won't. Etsy did not quite get that math right, I'm thinking. 

I am no longer sure that free shipping will get anyone the better placement that they expect at least at this time. It seems Etsy is backpedaling somewhat in order to have more relevant listings on page one of search since sales were lost due to relevant listings being pushed back. Also, free shipping has not increased revenue for the site as much as Etsy had planned. This is because either many sellers were following Etsy's advice to add only .03 cents to their listings or sellers were not increasing prices at all to cover free shipping.

This is bad news for Etsy. According to them, they'd planned for 80% of shipping costs to be rolled into prices, but only 60% actually were. So Etsy was 20% off in their calculations and stockholders are not happy about that.

9 Likes
falcieridesigns
Community Member

@ZehOriginalArt  I'm surprised it was as high as 60% but I guess they caught early changes. I'll be interested to see how low the next quarter is. 40%? As people realise it does nothing for most of them.

5 Likes
CindyLouDoesStats
Community Member

As of a few days ago, we are no longer seeing the entire first page reserved for free shipping items & the free shipping guarantee in the US. Items with the guarantee get the same ranking boost as items that have free shipping outright, so there will be no difference there. Your ranking drop might not be due to the free shipping boost.

The price increase suggested by Etsy is for all items that are under $35. If they are only suggesting  3 cents for you, then likely you don't sell most of these items in multiples very often, and each person who spends under $35 is offsetting the rare occasions that you do get an order over the $35 minimum.

For items that are over $35, they basically say to add the shipping cost to the item price, but again, if you sell many of those items in larger orders, you can possibly not add the full shipping charge to each item, if doubling the order size does not double the real shipping cost. You have to do the math for your own shop.

6 Likes
itsabannerlife
Community Member

My shop is made to order Bridal Shower and Baby Shower banners, and are generally under 35.00 ( a few over) and most of the time only order 1 item at a time.  Thanks for responding Cindy, I don't want to do Free Shipping but in the area my items are listed, there is still a monopoly, I used to be competitive but now just push further back. I did the Free Ship over $35 for a while but it wasn't really relevant to my shop, trying to figure it whats best..

2 Likes
ScenicRiversNets
Community Member

I tried Free Shipping and it hasn’t worked. The only thing I’ve seen work with my competitors is low price. Lowest price equals sale.

2 Likes
falcieridesigns
Community Member

@ScenicRiversNetsYes but if your items are lower prices you have to sell a lot more to make the same money if you hadn't. It doesn't always calculate that lower prices make more money. This is why so many stores flounder at sales time. They drop all their prices in the hope of higher footfall but they don't get enough and whilst they might shift more stock, they don't make their minimums.

1 Like
ScenicRiversNets
Community Member

@falcieridesigns @You’re right , you don’t make as much money for your time. In my first 6 years here on Etsy I’ve seen over 50 of my competitors come and go. They come board with high expectations and don’t do as well as they expect, they start lowing their prices. Finally cut-throat prices and they  end up eventually quitting.

1 Like
Artbesico
Community Member

I kinda think that if a shop has sales regularly, then they rank better and that helps them to get more sales. So I guess for those who do well, have the tendency to bring more money to Etsy, they are more visible in search and continue to do well.  

1 Like
ggdressing
Community Member

A suggestion: Try running a 30 percent off sale instead, just to get your conversion rate up. Raise prices, if you need to offset potential loss. FYI, I received a promotional email from Etsy recently that touted items on sale at 30 percent off.

0 Likes
falcieridesigns
Community Member

Don't do it. It's a trick so that Etsy can make more money from you.

5 Likes
bobsiDi
Community Member

No don't give in. I don't offer free shipping. My items are all under $35 and I still rate well on the first few pages. I reckon buyers can see through this little game. I sell from Australia and shipping varies to different countries for me. If buyers really want something they see they will buy regardless.

6 Likes
falcieridesigns
Community Member

@itsabannerlife  And are they getting a lot of sales?

0 Likes
RobertKlineArt
Community Member

My 2 cents - I also tried the "free shipping program" and found it was NO HELP whatsoever in increasing my sales. In fact NOTHING I do here on Etsy seems to be helping to increase my sales I guess I'll just focus on other venues.

In the 9 years I have been with Etsy I have not seen it this bad good luck everyone!

3 Likes
falcieridesigns
Community Member

@RobertKlineArtThe problem is simply that there is no answer. Etsy has messed around with everything so much and has such a blinkered agenda for its own profits that sellers simply cannot win. It's why I have stopped worrying about trying to find tactics to boost sales because it's not working because you cannot beat the house. I'm waiting it out. Etsy's profits are down since the free shipping started because they thought everyone would jump to it. They haven't. I believe that we have the power to control the site to a certain extent and get them to put a few things back the way they were but only if we don't let them trick us into making poor selling choices (like free shipping). There are lots of very savvy Etsy sellers here who take the time to work things out, understand what's going out and then advise and I'm happy to take that advice because they know when they're being had.

5 Likes
BeachFleaMarket
Community Member

I do get more orders over $35 now that I offer the free shipping. As for pricing, you know your shop and what will most likely be in a free shipping order. If most people only buy one item and it's under $35 then offering the free shipping for orders over $35 won't hurt and may give your items a boost in search. If it does have a negative impact either adjust your prices or turn it off. I think it's worth a try. That's what I did and it works for me.

I don't want to have adjusted prices to hurt people who just buy one item that's under $35 and they still pay for shipping. I evaluated which items I think as most likely to be sold in multiples to make a $35 order. On those items I adjusted the price slightly and lowered the weight of the item. So the orders that are just one item pay less in shipping. I pay the full price of shipping when I send the package of course so it balances out. I do have an advantage because most of my items are lightweight and ship first class. If I had larger items that required priority shipping, I don't think I could do the free shipping.

My overall sales have remained steady. Still the same volume of sales and the same amounts overall. 

0 Likes
itsabannerlife
Community Member

Thank you for replying. I did the free ship over $35 for a while and it did nothing. I turned it off, had a couple of sales but now seem to push further back in search. Will ramp up my Christmas banners and hope it helps.

2 Likes
LegendaryStones
Community Member

If you change to full free shipping and adjust your prices accordingly, and your competitors do not offer free shipping and therefore have a lower price, your items will appear to be overpriced since they will show up as costing more than your competitor's items. Yes, you'll have a little "free shipping" badge, but shoppers will see notice price difference first and click on the lowest priced one (unless there is a big difference in the items). 

3 Likes
BezelsandBeyond
Community Member

There is no rhyme or reason when it comes to sales on Etsy.  I had free shipping in my entire shop for years, with sales increasing every year.  Last month, I decided to charge for shipping (a flat $2.95) instead of raising prices.  I do still offer the free shipping if an order is $35 or more.  Guess what - sales are up over last November.  Funny thing is, almost every customer is purchasing less than $35 and being charged shipping.  I don't get it.  

1 Like
SweetPeasAndPearls
Community Member

I have given "free shipping" a lot of thought.    I simply can't offer "free shipping" when it is not free (if I increase the price of my items to offset the free shipping).  I even considered setting it up so that I pay for 50% and placing a note on my shop explaining what I've done. It would be helpful if  Etsy had an option for "Shared Shipping".  In most cases, especially mine, it would be accurate. 

My final decision is NOT to offer "free shipping" on all items or all items $35 and over.  I did it for a little bit and changed back because it is misleading to buyers.  When I determine my pricing, I take into consideration the higher prices that include "free shipping" and set my prices lower.  I make every effort to keep postage costs as low as possible for buyers and sometimes I offer "free shipping" different items.  Even though so many shops have adjusted prices to offer "free shipping," I just can't do it, and I can't afford to pay for all shipping.  My sales are still good so I'm hopeful it won't be too detrimental that others do offer it.  

This may be a difficult decision for others as well,,, it was quite the quandary for me but I'm comfortable with my final decision to not offer it.  Best of luck to everyone!!  Rebecca

2 Likes
ILoveSaturdayMorning
Community Member

I'm in  Australia, and I wanted to try 'free shipping' to the US, without making any alterations to the prices or shipping charges to Australia and Europe.  I have had an ongoing dialogue with Etsy help, but they just keep suggesting that I increase ALL my prices TO EVERY DESTINATION!!  It seems that there is no way possible for me to do what I want.  I give up . I'm not going to do the 'free shipping' thing at all.  Like you, I'm not prepared to mislead my Australian buyers.  Maybe US customers are more gullible.  

0 Likes
pHashIONpassION
Community Member

Has anyone watched the three new Etsy advertisements? At the very end of each,  the narrator says...shop Etsy where million of items ship for

free. So, it appears that Etsy Administration is  STILL pushing FS. 

Does anyone have any insights?

1 Like
TheHomespunLoft
Community Member

@pHashIONpassION  don't discount Silverman-- he wants all of Etsy to be free ship.. he has said it numerous times in TV interviews. IMO-He is determined to get what he wants. And don't be surprised if he decides to make it mandatory to sell here-- he did it with Etsy Pay and again with stand alone PayPal.

So sure he had the board meeting -2 wks ago or so- and then things changed here after that. So something happened. I imagine it will be temporary until he figures out a new scheme to get sellers to do FS.

Now, IMO really is the best time to make sure that all your craft eggs are not in one Etsy basket and diversify.

As far as insight.. just google it and read what you can. Lots of other sites are talking about the changes here.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.