RubyLewisDesigns
Community Member

Feeling bullied by ETSY!

Jump to solution

I’m started to feel bullied, maybe that’s extreme, maybe I feel I’m being cornered but whatever it is it’s very unfair. My store has been increasingly growing over the last 5 years. 96% of my sales go Stateside. I appear on the first page after years of hard hard work. Now I am likely to be booted down the pages because I cannot offer free shipping. On last years sales I would have lost over £600 of profits by giving free shipping. Etsy have advised me to increase my prices by 0!!! So I would be footing the shipping myself! I am a seller from Europe and quite frankly I feel furious by this ridiculous new policy. Anyone feeling the same and fearing their shop’s future? This is half of my family income which I cannot afford to lose.

181 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RubyLewisDesigns
Community Member

Re: Feeling bullied by ETSY!

Jump to solution

Thank you so so much for that. I appreciate you looking for me. Xx

1 Like
262 Replies
FoxHillLlamas
Community Member

Jump to solution

I just received an free shipping guarantee warning email that I felt was very bullying, so I understand how you are feeling.

62 Likes
RubyLewisDesigns
Community Member

Jump to solution

Yes, one of many? I have been getting them frequently. 

11 Likes
wreathsplusbylyn
Community Member

Jump to solution

same here, so what happens to learning SEO to gain in the search list?

9 Likes
BelleSavonVT
Community Member

Jump to solution

Me too! As well as now when you search for certain products, they do not appear on the first page if no one offers free shipping on them, so my customers are getting frustrated and confused looking forwhat they want!

3 Likes
sharonjenkins1
Community Member

Jump to solution

Agreed.  I guess this is the big push they were talking about for September.  I don’t even know what else to say or do..

14 Likes
RubyLewisDesigns
Community Member

Jump to solution

I know right. My sales have been really excellent so I assumed I had dodged the storm but today’s message from ETSY suggests the replacements haven’t been made yet so maybe from now I will see a difference in sales. I made one of my items ‘free shipping’ weeks ago as a test and not had one sale from it but the other identical listings with calculated shipping have sold in multiples.

25 Likes
DoceVikaVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

Just delete the email and move on... those are automatic email designed to bully us into embracing their interests....

In my searches "free" shipping it is not making any impact as most people are ignoring it...

we have to stand by our businesses...

55 Likes
outandaboutvintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

I guess caculated shipping (which is "the true" shipping costs) wasn't good enough in the profit department, ugh

3 Likes
QualityBridalHangers
Community Member

Jump to solution

I am furious as well!  over 7 years of hard work and in a nutshell, my sales are way down, my fees are way up (I paid $4,480 (US funds) on Etsy fees since March, not to mention my inventory costs, I am actually losing money now and in my opinion it is out of control, but if I do not pay the fees, then my items will not sell, vicious cycle and not in my favor one bit, no support from Etsy just a bunch of garbage excuses and everyday making changes.  I have updated my resume and applied for my first oustide job since 2011.  My bills are behind, I have creditors calling me everyday because my sales have taken a serious decline over the past 3 months.  Other than the fees, my other issue is with reviews.  I have had several customers leave a negative review due to their error (not reading my timelines corectly or not reading the listing info properly and ordering the wrong item but expecting me to send a new one etc.....) the list goes on, the emails I receive from customers are down right abusive and since they do not want to take any blame, they blame my shop and air it out in the review system,  Etsy does nothing about it.  My shop is done, over, kaput, off to new adventures I guess, I hope Etsy pays for it in the end and shuts down (I know never going to happen but one can hope) shame on Etsy, I used to be grateful for you, now it has just left a very bad feeling. good luck everyone!

43 Likes
RubyLewisDesigns
Community Member

Jump to solution

I’m very sorry to hear that. Our hearts and souls go into our work and we hope it to be fruitful 🤦🏻‍♀️

12 Likes
MikeMBurkeDesigns
Community Member

Jump to solution

I will  not do free shipping and think what ETSY is doing is cruel to sellers but hoping for ETSY to shut down so the rest of us who sell here follow the same fate as you is WRONG! This is my main source of income and thanks to all these changes my successful shop is crashing and I barely have income coming in. I hate what ETSY has become but I certainly wouldn't wish for all seller's to suffer for it by ETSY shutting down.  I think it would be better to hope that EYSY comes to their senses and do right by the sellers. 

56 Likes
LilBridalShop
Registered Member

Jump to solution

0 Likes
QualityBridalHangers
Community Member

Jump to solution

@MikeMBurkeDesigns....please do not put words in my mouth, we are in the same boat as this is my main source of income as well. I did not say that I was hoping for ETSY to shut down so the rest of you who sell here follow the same fate as me - my hope would be for Etsy to make changes in our favor, but that has not happened in YEARS so let me rephrase....I hope that Etsy has MAJOR repercussions for their actions, and what I would absolutely love is for another site to come around so we do not have to worry about Etsy and their shenanigans anymore, that is all, I would NEVER wish bad fate on anyone!  

6 Likes
MikeMBurkeDesigns
Community Member

Jump to solution

This is what you said and I quote " I hope Etsy pays for it in the end and shuts down (I know never going to happen but one can hope) ". I am not here to start an argument but I did not put words in your mouth. You did say it. Read your own post again. You didn't say anything about hoping another site comes along to replace them. We are in the same boat as you said except that I lost everything. My job, my house, everything. The thing that helped me survive was the income I earned from ETSY until I found another job. Recently my replacement job went out of business and this was once again my sole income. Thanks to these changes my sales have dropped to nothing after 7 years here. I am now hurting like you and I am disgusted by them but I believe in be careful for what you wish for and that is why I felt I needed to comment. At the same time please don't claim I put words in your mouth when I repeated EXACTLY what you said. When you wish for ETSY to "Shut Down" that means that many sellers go down with them. 

The biggest lesson all of us sellers should learn from this is to not depend solely on one site like ETSY. We should be creating our own websites that we have complete control over. We can stay with ETSY but put our main focus on our own site to sell our products. Start small and as income comes in use some of that to scale up and advertise it. Eventually our sites will do as well or better than ETSY. That should be a goal so that when a site like ETSY pulls stunts like this we can deal with it without worrying about a loss of income. There are a ton of videos on You Tube that show exactly how to build an eCommerce site such as Wordpress with Woocommerce.  Also Shopify but I think with Woocommerce you have much more control. Shopify has been known to shut down shops and unlike Woocommerce they have a monthly fee. Either way it's not as difficult as one may think to make your own site.  Good luck to you and hopefully your sales will pick up.

14 Likes
SarahsSalvageShop
Community Member

Jump to solution

I am sorry this happened to you. Some times though it is important to not take everything so personally. Peoples change expectations change and you must change with them or your business will suffer. Try to take every bad review as a way to learn. I mean this in the best way possible. Try to change your business practices to best meet your buyers needs. example. Try a slightly harder wire. Try messaging buyers and remind them of your turn around times etc.

0 Likes
StoneHaloTileWorx
Community Member

Jump to solution

Just received the email from etsy. Very discouraged. It does seem heavy handed. With that and the new ad thing--just feeling very overwhelmed.

23 Likes
That70sChickVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

The ad thing is really troubling. I don’t use the ads, but used to be able to find my items in a google search easily. Now, even with specific google search terms my items don’t show up anywhere. I’ve been reading nightmares about the fees with the new ads, I’m just a little one person operation here. I already spend a lot on adding stock to my shop + shipping supplies, Etsy Fees, etc. Not much leftover.

21 Likes
DoceVikaVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

@That70sChickVintage  the same here... it is all disheartening... I was never able to afford PL or other types of Ad's and they way things are now, I never will... 

@StoneHaloTileWorx just do what you have to do and ignore the automatic rude emails designed by Etsy, the bully, to scare innocent sellers... we can not accept this practice. It is obscene.

14 Likes
LastTangoVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

Some of us just can't offer free shipping, but i thought, in a search of like items that most other sellers of those like items would be in the same position. We offer it where we can. It doesn't seem to matter since there are lots of "un-like" items take up the pages prior to my listings. Feeling sadly left out and unsupported.

Yesterday I had to explain to a customer why shipping for her antique lace screen was as much as the screen....the July shipping rate increase. She was nice about it and thanked me for being kind. Kind. A surprising response to a shipping charge explanation. I'd be out of business in a week if I gave free shipping on over $35 orders. The screen was $44 and shipping to East coast from the middle of the US was $44 just because it was a big box with a 3# item. Scowl.

Sigh

26 Likes
GlancesBackVintage
Community Member

Jump to solution

I feel your pain!  For sellers that ship larger heavier items, it does not make sense. A person next state over pay $15 for shipping and the on the west coast would pay $35, why should I up the cost of the item by $35 to cover free shipping.  I do not sell anything small or cheap that would qualify for the $35 free shipping- I see the sense for sellers of jewelry, and smaller items- but for those of us selling larger items. it is impossible to do.  Etsy has lost their marbles.  Just force it down - or don't sell is the threat!

24 Likes
SarahsSalvageShop
Community Member

Jump to solution

I have two dolls I want to sell. This has been a nightmare. I waited too long to list them! It will cost 88 dollars to ship them.

0 Likes
CarlaEllisCreative
Registered Member

Jump to solution

I have the same issue! I'm in Australia so sending to the US is hugely expensive. I had a US customer order 3 calendars for $55 and the postage cost me $30! How on earth can I possibly offer free shipping on that? If I increase the price of my item then all of my customers in Australia will be paying a huge mark up to cover the cost of shipping to the US. How is that fair?

1 Like
AncientBathandBody
Community Member

Jump to solution

The less we all make, the less they make. I refuse to offer free shipping $35.00 and up. I have items that weigh alot. I'd have to pay a heavy amount out of my own pocket just to please ETSY. I already pay enough with ads via ETSY as well as GOOGLE.

If my ads don't get views based upon this, then ETSY has to worry about a Class Action Law Suit from all of us that do pay for Ads. I hope they thought the legalities through with this one.

25 Likes
MouseGarden
Community Member

Jump to solution

In the terms of use you agreed not to do class action law suits and to agree to settlements of disputes through arbitration.  Unless the government takes an interest.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.