MULLANPHYLANE
Community Member

Re: Dimensional Weight and 2019 USPS Shipping Rates Changes

😂🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️

2 Likes
GRITSGirlz
Community Member

I just started a USPS Dim Weight sale on my oversized items, e.g., any that ship larger than 12x12x12.  Hopefully I can clear a few out to Zones 1-4 around me before Dim Weight hits those zones on 6/23.

0 Likes
VintageMaineia
Community Member

Yes @GRITSGirlz been having a sale, and formulated an exit plan for anything oversized...

0 Likes
RustyCrustyRepurpose
Community Member

@GRITSGirlz Excellent idea.  Good luck.

0 Likes
MoiraRiver
Community Member

New sellers to Etsy are going to find it hard to figure out shipping. Likely overcharge. Buyers should look into shipping cost before purchasing. 

1 Like
RustyCrustyRepurpose
Community Member

I think it is so sad that USPS will now lose more shipments resulting in losing more money resulting in additional rate increases.  Repeat.  Repeat.  Wonderful business model.  I have already removed all my larger items until the dust settles and I see how the  increases affect me.  Even if you do calculated shipping some items will be too high for people to purchase so as a seller you end up wasting your time and money listing.

4 Likes
FreshwaterAquaticsNY
Community Member

This new dimensional weight change is HUGE! How does the USPS justify this? Why were we given such short notice about this change? This will cause a lot of shop owners who sell light oversized products to go under. Was Etsy asleep at the wheel on this one? We make less money or close shop Etsy makes less money. I know they don't have any control over the USPS but I would expect a fight over an increase as big as this one which effects a large portion of their shop owners. Very upset over this! 

0 Likes
custompetandtack
Community Member

@FreshwaterAquaticsNY 

The DIM rate increase was noted way back at the end of last year that this was being proposed and when USPS raised prices in Jan, it was in that increase info that DIM pricing would be implemented June 23rd.

It was on our dashboard back in Jan when USPS announced the increase in Priority rates and changed 1st class to zone base pricing.

Some sellers were seeing this reminder of the DIM increase on their dashboard last week.
I didn't but it was probably because none of my items incur DIM pricing.

As a seller it's up to me to keep ahead of changes to USPS increases which happen every year. I don't rely on Etsy to keep me informed of price changes with USPS.

2 Likes
FreshwaterAquaticsNY
Community Member

You are correct, it is up to the shop owner to keep up to date on shipping rate changes. I hope you did not take any offense to my post. I am new to this forum and wanted to get in on the conversation. I wasn't responding directly to you, not really sure how this threads work. I do think that Etsy is in a stronger position than it may think and may have ( I repeat may have) tried to secure better rates with less of an increase to its shop owners. If we lose sales so do they, that was my only point really. It seems that the little guy is being squeezed too hard these days at the expense of larger companies greed. I will try to make the necessary adjustments to my shop to survive this increase. WHICH IS HUGE beyond belief. Not to mention the post office will probably still continue to lose money. 

2 Likes
custompetandtack
Community Member

No offense taken.... I know you weren't responding to me. 
It's just that so many sellers don't do their homework when it comes to shipping costs and want to blame Etsy for price increases set by USPS instead of keeping up with changes.
And now with this DIM pricing to all zones there's a lot of sellers that sell larger items going to lose a lot of money, especially if they set their own shipping costs because the new DIM rates can vary so much.

A few examples I did on oversize boxes to show what a big difference in prices they will have:

Friday old rates:
A 20 lb box that is 24x24x12 going from NC to CA will cost $84.12 Priority and $59.83 Parcel select.

That same size/weight box going to NC to NY will cost $22.19 Priority and $22.09 Parcel select.

Sunday June 23rd new rates:

24x24x12 box 20 lbs NC to CA: $91.94 Priority, $91.59 Parcel select. Priority went up around $7 but Parcel Select went up $30+.

24x24x12 box 20 lbs NC to NY: $40.91 Priority, $40.81 parcel select. Almost double what it was Friday.

If someone is setting their own shipping prices and didn't figure at least $92 to ship an item this size, they're going to lose money if someone from zone 8 purchases. If they figured $50 for example to ship anywhere, it would cover zones 1-4 but zones 5-9 would cost a lot more.

3 Likes
PsychoCreators
Community Member

@FreshwaterAquaticsNY it isn't how big etsy is for a stronger position. Ebay is bigger than etsy and it is going through the same changes.  FedEx and UPS have used DIM pricing for quite awhile and USPS is just NOW rolling it out.  Big boxes take up room in travel.  Period. Someone has to pay for the transportation. THAT'S how they justify it. You will read through these comments that "FedEx is cheaper," "UPS is cheaper," etc.  It's competitive in the delivery service just like it is in shopping. 

And which is cheaper? It's all relative to your business and what is offered. USPS has always been the least expensive way to ship a majority of my wreaths from California to all states.  UNLESS, it's a really large wreath and then FedEx is best.  It's all about knowing what is out there and what is best for you. 

Will USPS continue to lose money? I surely hope not as it's a service that is needed.   But it's a big possibility/probability. 

1 Like
TheVintageStable
Community Member

These shipping increases are huge for me.  I noticed something was different today when I started to list a very lightweight bird cage.  Everything in my shop is listed with Calculated shipping, so hopefully if someone does buy something (even with exorbitant shipping) I will not lose money.  But I will have to rethink the items I offer and now I will look into UPS or Fed EX, which in the past have always been higher than USPS for me.  My other Etsy shop is for wreaths...so the Dimensional weight will definitely apply!  :-(

0 Likes
Collectique
Community Member

Helps my storage as I am no longer selling large items.  Im in canada but use USPS shipping for US buyers.  I have sold about half of my bread boxes to Canada so the two I have left will just take a little longer to sell with only offering to Canada.

1 Like
WilzCreations
Community Member

Pricing has gone crazy!! We sell several hundred of a particular item with a box size of 48x6x9 at 8lbs.  I use calculated shipping for this item and it typically runs between $12-$18.  Now with new pricing I can expect prices to be $18-$27, for shipping alone.  This is potentially a huge game changer for us.  It will be interesting if customers will pay the new rate.  With us already shipping UPS for some heavier products im definately gonna reach out to see if they will work with us on this particular product.  Good luck to all shops out their!!!  

1 Like
TheNorthWoodsGal
Community Member

I just wrote to USPS, if you want to write go here:  https://emailus.usps.com/emailUs/iq/usps/request.do?forward=emailUs

1 Like
vlmkpyae
Community Member

usps has been warning online that they were going to have to do this for over a decade. they finally did it and it is postalmageddon today. it's sad because only amazon has the sweatheart deal with them now. i feel bad for all the sellers of handmade and vintage items that are heavy or bulky.

this is not good news. maybe ups, fedex, or ontract would be cheaper now. we are light years from the pony express and the wells fargo wagon, sadly. 

0 Likes
OneFunDay
Community Member

Full disclosure first, I was out of the loop on how this price increase was going down and how it was going to affect me. I take responsibilty for that. So happy for those that it doesn't affect or who can easily figure shipping. i.e. small items or the same size over and over. I can't do that. My items are typically bigger and I don't ever know how many will be purchased, it has been hard enough figuring it out up to this point. But the packages I shipped today, tripled in price...that's a fact. I was able to get a little cheaper deal on one through Fed Ex. The whole weight vs size thing doesn't work for me! I may be done...

0 Likes
MemphisMomWreaths
Community Member

So in the space of 24 hours, my calculated prices for USPS Priority and Parcel Select have a least double but in some cases tripled. Like many others on this thread, I ship wreaths, and my smallest box is 20x20x9. The price of that size box at under 4 pounds going from Memphis to Chicago jumped from around $11 to $23, but my larger 22x20x10 box went from around $15 to $44!?! I'm adjusting all my shipping prices back to fixed price and will ship with Fedex as it's now cheaper than the USPS. Unbelievable--it feels like we're constantly losing ground on shipping, fees, SEO, etc. Very frustrating....

0 Likes
VintageStableDesigns
Community Member

I changed many of my larger wreaths to fixed price shipping last night.  But I am going to look into shipping Fed Ex Home Delivery to see if the prices are better than USPS Retail Ground.  But to buy the shipping through Etsy (and print labels at home) you have to choose one or the other, you can't have some items going out USPS and some going out Fed Ex.  This is a huge inconvenience all around.

Update #1: I discovered that you CAN switch back and forth between Fed Ex or USPS when selecting your shipping carrier on any particular item.  The difference is that Etsy only provides the Calculated Shipping option for USPS, not Fed Ex. So to use Fed Ex you would have to enter a fixed price for shipping (and then calculate the cost yourself on the Fed Ex site.)

Update#2: for my wreath boxes (typically 22 x 22 x 8, or 18 x 18 x 12) Fed Ex is only slightly cheaper than USPS Parcel Post purchased on Etsy.  So for now the cheapest way for me to ship is USPS retail ground -- I will have to go to the Post office to purchase it.

0 Likes
GladStoneatHome
Community Member

As a vintage seller, I am impacted by this change with about 20 to 25 per cent of my items. 

So far, I have contacted Etsy concerning offering Fed Ex as a calculated shipping option. They sent me a canned response that did not address my concerns.

Then I opened a Mercari shop. It is flea markety and all, but they offer awesome shipping prices on Fed Ex. They also have a deal with UPS where you can drop off your item and they pack it for you. Fed Ex $17 for a 10 to 20 pound package. Up to 60" in length. I encourage everyone to check it out. I plan to promote it on my social media.

I added a blurb to all of my affected listings that I also ship Fed Ex and contact me for a quote. When the description is on the left side, it will be just above the shipping cost. Hopefully, customers will see it. 

If Etsy sees declining sales, they will get it together and offer better shipping options. 

0 Likes
VintageStableDesigns
Community Member

Here is a very good video explaining Dimensional Weight and the new USPS rates.

(bolorama channel) https://youtu.be/lWFd4rarax4

0 Likes
RustyCrustyRepurpose
Community Member

@WhimsyWreathsDesigns Wonder if Amazon will get in the business.  They are already doing some of their own deliveries.  They would have the finances to back it.

0 Likes
WhimsyWreathsDesigns
Community Member

Yesterday I emailed the Postmaster General with my concerns over these astronomical price increases.  I got a pretty quick response from someone on their Etsy customer service team.  We had several back and forth discussions.  This morning I received another response:

It looks like there may have been an error in the programming for the new
> DIM weight calculations. I don’t have all the details yet, but I would price
> it out again in a few days to see if the error impacts your items.
>
> As far as the service issues you mentioned, please engage the email address
> I provided to you. That is monitored by my team at USPS Headquarters and you
> don’t have to call an 800#. This is not for everyone, but was set up for
> Etsy shippers who were experiencing issues.
>
> Thanks again for bringing your experience, although not a good one, to our
> attention
>
> Tom
>
> Tom Hughes
> Manager, Business Customer Support & Service (BSN)

we have a support email address specific to Etsy shippers. It is BCSSHQ@usps.gov

6 Likes
RustyCrustyRepurpose
Community Member

@WhimsyWreathsDesigns At least the PO got back to you with a personal response.  Have to give them credit for that.

0 Likes
TheVintageStable
Community Member

@WhimsyWreathsDesigns Thank you very much for that information!  

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.