HAPPY NEW YEAR and Welcome to the Alberta Team Chat Thread for January 1 through April 30, 2020. Feel free to use the formatting options available for you as you post! Feel free to post your in-person markets here for the season so we can support each other. Also we’ve had a lot of changes with how Etsy views our listings. Feel free to comment how you are adjusting and if you have any questions or just want to see if others are experiencing the same things.

Posting in this thread counts towards your team participation and is the main place to get up to date on what we are doing as a team! 

WHERE TO FIND OUR TEAM & PARTICIPATE:
FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/AlbertaStreetTeam
PINTEREST: www.pinterest.com/ABStreetTeam/
INSTAGRAM: instagram.com/etsyalbertateam/ #etsyalbertateam

If you have any questions about the team or how to get more involved please contact Kalen, the Team Captain, at www.etsy.com/shop/minibytes

Re: ♦♦♦♦ Alberta Street Team CHAT THREAD for JANUARY-APRIL, 2020 ♦♦♦♦

LOL I assumed the option had to be there because I hadn't seen any other complaints about this. I am also well overdue for an eye appointment! 

And thank you for your kind words! Some of my sales come through my website, and I am currently moving more items there. Don't forget I am doing this as a fulltime income, so if I weren't making sales I'd have to find another solution. (Selling niche items helps)

All Canada Post labels can be treated the same way, regardless of where you print them. Untracked mail can even be dropped in a mailbox (I do that occasionally.) Etsy accepts a photograph of the addressed package as proof of shipping for untracked items, but if you need proof for other payment processors or for insurance, you have to get the manifest or receipt half of the label stamped by Canada Post at their counter. 

For tracked items, they should always be submitted directly to Canada Post & scanned right away. Canada Post pickups are free during the pandemic, but they have weekly and monthly rates during normal times. I had never used the pickup service before now, but not being able to leave home left me with no choice; I'd rather have them come here than Jason have to go inside the post office. 

Shippo charges 5 cents USD a label during normal times, but they are free right now. It currently works out to 7 cents CAD. 

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like

I had a terrible 2019 for ‘lost’ packages. I replaced 3. And was in the beginning stages of replacing 10 in November when Canada Post lost that tub of mail (I think they got tired of hearing from me and sent someone on a hunt for the tub). One of those three was a tracked USPS packagethat I sent thru DYK post. Of those 3, all of them showed up after the replacement was sent. And I wait 30 businessdays before replacing. All these customers were honest. And either sent one back or asked to purchase the original. Long ago I replaced one where I’m certain the lady just wanted something for free. 

If I need tracking or a customer upgrades their shipping, I use Shippo and USPS and send using DYK Post. I keep hoping for the day we get a DYK or Chit Chats in the NW. all my US stuff would go with tracking then. it’s an hour and half of my day to go to DYK from where I live, so it’s just not worth it now. I feel comfortable sending stuff untracked. It’s not usually an issue. And when it does I’m prepared to deal with it. I self insure so I have a little coffee for replacements. (Tho if I had had to replace all 10 of those packages in November I would have been out $500). That was a rare instance tho. 

0 Likes

I'm trying to print my first shippo label. Learning curve. I'm getting this error, when I don't see how dhl is even there....somewhere....not getting it.

There is an issue with your package

- Shippo's DHL Express master account doesn't support shipments from outside of the US
0 Likes

I am trying to add the info on shippo manually and don't see canada post anywhere...

0 Likes

Yes, you can't use DHL through Shippo if you are in Canada.

Here are the instructions on using Canada Post with Shippo: https://support.goshippo.com/hc/en-us/articles/201772755-Using-Canada-Post-in-Shippo

If you can't get the Canada Post option to come up, you will need to contact Shippo; their support is pretty decent most of the time, although like everyone else they are pretty backed up right now. I can't shepherd you through the setup because I know you don't usually use a desktop, and mobile is always going to be more difficult for stuff like this (it tends to hide a lot of options). 

0 Likes

Thanks so much. I eventually gave up and just went to the Canada post website to print. I use it often too. I wish CP would import the info from Etsy.
 I’ll go look at the instructions. Did not see that offered at all after I setup my account. 

0 Likes

Cindy, what does API mean? I need to set up and API. I have a venture one number. But I don’t that means anything. Confused is my middle name. 

0 Likes

That page explains how to get to your CP API codes. It's just a software term, but you can always Google for more detail on CP's set up if you are struggling. Or contact Shippo for help. Someone has probably done a YouTube video, though. 

Good luck! 

1 Like

And in my futile attempt to figure out my earlier quest, I completely forgot my manners! 

Hello everyone! Long time, no see. I’ll try to check in more often.  

Welcome new members! I’ll be sure to have a look at your shops.

I’ve been very busy since we’ve all been hunkered down. Selling lots and many custom orders.
Social distancing fits in well with our life style so it’s not a big hardship for us to stay put and not see people. That’s life out in the bush. Thanks goodness for technology though, so I’m able to see the little grandson. 

0 Likes

Sales have slowed down a bit this year, but still steady. Had my first sale through the off-site ads that Etsy was pushing through early this year. And extra $5 in fees for that privilege! Will have to up my prices to compensate over time. 

Social distancing hasn't been hard for the most part - I'm quite ok to stay home and sew. But I missed the grandkids terribly and now our circle includes their families and I'm backing getting hugs from 3 & 5 year olds who didn't understand why the no hugs rule!

0 Likes

From Etsy Canada:

"Hi,
You may all remember that we had shared applications with you all for a virtual MIC/FAQ pilot. We are pleased to now share a bit more detail about the program with you all, including the teams that will be participating:
July 25th- Etsy NB
August 1st- Etsy Outaouais
August 8th- Niagara Etsy Artisans Team
Also, given that these are virtual markets, it means that teams can include vendors that are in neighboring cities or areas, so you may hear from the captains/teams above as they are recruiting for their markets.
Stay tuned for more information about the events but we’re excited to be testing out some new platforms to host these markets, and hope to be rolling this program out to include all of our teams later this year!"

This means that Alberta Etsy artisans have an opportunity to apply for markets that are not normally within reach physically. I'll see if I can find the application links for each of them and post them below.

1 Like

0 Likes

0 Likes

And 3 Quebec teams are teaming up for this one. Expect that the ability to communicate in French will be a requirement. https://www.etsy-vs.com/Evenements/MarcheVirtuel?fbclid=IwAR1RZYP4bsLaC-bXkb2eGmpgibiAqDfXVhH1lHmAPb...

0 Likes

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.