♦♦♦♦ Alberta Street Team CHAT THREAD for JANUARY-APRIL, 2020 ♦♦♦♦

HAPPY NEW YEAR and Welcome to the Alberta Team Chat Thread for January 1 through April 30, 2020. Feel free to use the formatting options available for you as you post! Feel free to post your in-person markets here for the season so we can support each other. Also we’ve had a lot of changes with how Etsy views our listings. Feel free to comment how you are adjusting and if you have any questions or just want to see if others are experiencing the same things.

Posting in this thread counts towards your team participation and is the main place to get up to date on what we are doing as a team! 

WHERE TO FIND OUR TEAM & PARTICIPATE:
FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/AlbertaStreetTeam
PINTEREST: www.pinterest.com/ABStreetTeam/
INSTAGRAM: instagram.com/etsyalbertateam/ #etsyalbertateam

If you have any questions about the team or how to get more involved please contact Kalen, the Team Captain, at www.etsy.com/shop/minibytes

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
64 Replies

Re: ♦♦♦♦ Alberta Street Team CHAT THREAD for JANUARY-APRIL, 2020 ♦♦♦♦

Happy new year Ann and the dwindling crew that continues to keep us afloat!

0 Likes
myCorabella
Inspiration Seeker

Hi everyone, especially to the handful of regulars! I hope things are well with you all.

Anyone trying something new this year?

I'm attempting to reduce my supplies overhead to half of last year... finding it requires exercising atrophied creativity muscle. I get excited and inspired when I purchase new supplies....but that's not a sustainable source of inspiration, lol.

Also evaluating my shows and changing up the schedule a bit.

0 Likes
SnowmanCollector
Inspiration Seeker

I am switching out from website from Indiemade to Shopify. Which is kind of turning out to be more work than I anticipated. You watch all these YouTube videos saying 'set up your Shopify site in 30 minutes!' Don't believe it!!

I am trying out a gun show this spring. And I am trying to work on being more efficient and cut down my costs which means that I am also trying to not buy new supplies. :(

0 Likes
myCorabella
Inspiration Seeker

Wow, changing websites is a big job! How long were you on Indiemade and what was your main reason for switching?

0 Likes
SnowmanCollector
Inspiration Seeker

I was on Indiemade for almost 2 years and there were lots of things I liked about it. The price being a big one. Shopify is twice as expensive but it has a lot of extra things I can do that I couldn't on Indiemade. I can have a currency converter. I can charge different shipping prices on different size variations of the same product. I can have a count down to free shipping pop up. I can send out abandoned cart emails. You can customize it a lot more but there are some things that I find a lot more difficult to do on it. Pluses and minuses. I haven't switched my domain name over to Shopify yet. Probably another week of work before I do that. Is it allowed to post it in here once I have made the switch? I would love to have some feedback from other handmade artists. After I have looked at something day after day I no longer see it objectively and even miss obvious things like spelling mistakes. 

0 Likes
myCorabella
Inspiration Seeker

Yes you can post the website here since your purpose is for feedback/discussion not promotion.

0 Likes

yes, please post here. I would love to see some more discussion about how people are building a brand over a number of platforms. 

0 Likes
SnowmanCollector
Inspiration Seeker

Thanks. I will post it once it is working. Blah!I had everything done and went to switch my domain name over to point everything to the new shop and something went wrong. I thought that 'support' had it fixed, but I just checked and NOPE. So I will try again. 

0 Likes
stufd
Inspiration Seeker

I haven't been on here in forever it seems!

I hope everyone is doing well :) I think I have the same question every year... thinking about taxes, and wondering where we download the csv files? I poked around, but haven't found it yet.

0 Likes
stufd
Inspiration Seeker

And then of course I found it :)

Settings : Options : Download Data if anyone else is looking for it!

0 Likes

so glad you found it! I've had family stuff happening and haven't been checking in here daily like I should!

0 Likes

0 Likes

$5000 up for grabs at the Made in Alberta Awards! Dead  line for entries is February 29, 2020. Head on over and check it out plus the winners from 2019. You’ll be inspired and I know so many of you have what it takes to win! It’s also a great opportunity to showcase your product(s) to the rest of the province!  https://madeinalbertaawards.ca

0 Likes

And some big changes to Off-Etsy ads on Google. You are going to want to check this out as it means extra fees if someone buys from you through a Google ad. https://www.etsy.com/ca/seller-handbook/article/introducing-etsys-risk-free-advertising/729663416588

0 Likes

And here’s the Q&A link. Open today until 9ET and again tomorrow. (Thursday) https://community.etsy.com/t5/Etsy-Success/Q-amp-A-with-Etsy-Staff-Etsy-s-New-Advertising-Service/m-...

0 Likes

Hi all! Sorry I've been too busy to be around, but here are some things you might still be interested in

ads announcement thread: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Marketing-Your-Business/Etsy-s-Offsite-Ads-fact-thread/m-p/129564648

4th Quarter report thread: https://community.etsy.com/t5/Marketing-Your-Business/Etsy-s-Quarter-2019-Financial-Results-Marketpl...

blog post on the customer service level standards & ODR, fully updated for recent developments: https://www.cindylouwho2.com/blog/2019/11/18/etsy-releases-their-customer-service-warning-standards (lots more shops are getting shut down)

other recent Etsy & ecommerce news: https://cindylouwho-2.tumblr.com/post/610979895893426176/recent-news-resources-studies-late-february

I am still looking at opening an ecommerce forum, probably in the next few months. And it won't be US-centric! LOL

Hope everyone is well! 

0 Likes

Thanks for the links Cindy! Looking forward to seeing your e-commerce forum! 

1 Like

Free! March 16 at Central Library Calgary, Etsy Calgary is hosting a workshop on how to boost your business by hosting workshops. Check it out here: http://etsycalgary.com/workshops/

0 Likes

And here's another great workshop for building your business. March 5-9 (online) Julieanne is an Etsy team captain and shop owner from Ontario and this workshop on email marketing is free! https://view.flodesk.com/pages/5e55d2bcca9f6900263fc366?fbclid=IwAR05vHrApJ4pxKW4l3Jmb_xrZX5uOA8DZcO...

0 Likes
SnowmanCollector
Inspiration Seeker

I think all the kinks are worked out of the new website. Fingers crossed. If anyone has a moment to take a peek at it, I could use some honest feedback. All I know is that I am not computer savvy enough! www.snowmancollector.com

0 Likes

Also if you’ve never made a business plan for your handmade business, Alberta Women Entrepreneurs puts on workshops in both Edmonton and Calgary. There are a few coming up in Calgary in April. Here’s the link. https://facebook.com/events/s/lets-start-your-business-plan-/492106058131441/?ti=icl

0 Likes

Hello teamies! It's been a looooonnnng time since I've checked in! Hello! Sorry, not sticking around for long. Life is busy, and I can't afford to go down this rabbit hole today getting lost in these forums. (And now that I'm on here I remember why I haven't been back much). 

0 Likes
etceterapatterns
Inspiration Seeker

Hi everyone,

I need advice on a shipping maybe-problem. I sent a sewing pattern to the UK, one of many so not an unusual order, my customer received it timely but was charged duty, which, needless to say upset her. I checked and duty is charged on items over 135GBP. I have never heard from any previous customers of being charged duty. I do not know why she was charged. I know import taxes are the responsibility of the customer but I don't want a disgruntled customer.

What would you do in this situation? Would anyone refund the shipping charge as customer service? Is there a way to dispute this charge?

Always appreciate your advice!

0 Likes

@etceterapatterns  what was the cost of the pattern? They were probably charged VAT & Royal Mail collection fee, not duty, and that starts at around 15GBP, as I recall. It's a very low threshold. The VAT is the same as what they would pay if they bought it locally, but just as in Canada, it is the collection fee that stings for a low cost item. (Like most Canadians, UK residents often confuse these various charges)

Customs might be due if the item was made in certain countries; search for UK trade agreements. 

If they think the charge is wrong, they will have to dispute it, not you. You could help them by sending them the links, but since you weren't the one charged, you can't do it for them. 

I would not refund the shipping fee, as my policies and my automated note to the buyer on the transaction mail state that "You may need to pay customs, duties or taxes on your purchase in your jurisdiction (outside of Canada and the US)." In the rare cases I get a complaint, I send a super-sympathetic message explaining their very low threshold & commiserate that it is similar in Canada, then give them whatever links they need. 

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.