Former_Member
Hello and welcome to the Alberta Team Chat Thread for August 15 - 31, 2016. Posting here counts towards your team participation and is the main place to get up to date on what we are doing as a team!

Post your New Listings in our promo thread:
www.etsy.com/ca/teams/5084/alberta-street-team/discuss/17963400/

Post your Treasuries or social media links here (posting in this thread counts toward your team participation):
www.etsy.com/ca/teams/5084/alberta-street-team/discuss/17963095/

WHERE TO FIND OUR TEAM & PARTICIPATE:
FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/AlbertaStreetTeam
TWITTER: twitter.com/etsyalbertateam #EtsyAB
PINTEREST: www.pinterest.com/ABStreetTeam/
INSTAGRAM: instagram.com/etsyalbertateam/ #etsyalbertateam

If you have any questions about the team or how to get more involved please contact Kalen, the Team Captain, at www.etsy.com/shop/minibytes

Previous chat thread here:
https://www.etsy.com/teams/5084/alberta-street-team/discuss/17963121/

Re: ♦♦♦♦ Alberta Street Team CHAT THREAD for August 15 - 31, 2016 ♦♦♦♦

Jump to solution
"Strike activities" have been announced, to commence on Monday:
http://www.cupw.ca/en/alert-4-%E2%80%93-strike-activities

Basically, no overtime if your province is on "strike" rotation that day. Everyone else works normal hours.

That is about as mild as it gets, I think :) Let us hope that Canada Post will promise not to lock them out as long as that is all they do!
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
I wonder if there has been some sort of unannounced action that's been going on for awhile as several packages sent to me from the US have never shown up- i.e. are they sitting around collecting dust somewhere?
0 Likes

Jump to solution
They weren't legal to take any action til they gave 72 hours notice; to do otherwise would break federal law.

But it IS summer. I have a large supply order I really need that was mailed to me over a month ago, & should not have taken even 3 weeks based on the past service. Some other things have been really quick lately, but not that one. I am not even sure I can get the item in Calgary at any price, so it's going to be interesting if it doesn't arrive.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
happy Saturday. hubby and I celebrated 27 years of wedded bliss (mostly) yesterday with an Eskimos win! yay! into the studio today as it looks it is not going to be a day to sit in the sun outside.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
just added some new listings to that thread. I have been using my phone to list but can't figure out how to copy and paste them to the listing thread.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Anyone know the answer to this....I know it's the responsibility of our customers to pay customs. I'm preparing an $800 order (Big yippee!) to go to the US, and I'm curious what my customer would pay to have it clear US customs. We pay $10 plus GST for Canada post to clear the item, what do they pay? I'm having trouble finding that info in my search online.
It won't ship til October 1st-ish so I'm hopefully optimistic Canada post will have settled their dispute. If not I will use a courier or DYKpost
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I ship hundreds of packages a year with Canada Post. Over the last 3 years I have had a 8-10% loss with packages. And a 20-23% slower than expected service with packages all around the world. One package was from Calgary to Toronto that never arrived.
Honestly I think that mail is just too insecure all around the world. Tracking helps but I've still seen packages go missing even with tracking.
I ship a few orders a year worth about $150-$200 each (wholesale orders) to the US and I generally use ExpressPost with insurance. It's a more affordable service than couriers for tracked shipping and it does not have hidden customs fees or "handling fees" like couriers. So your customer will only pay customs, dependant on the type of material being sent (for example cotton is highly taxed but rayon is not). I think they make customs vague and difficult to figure out just because they can. (Lol).
If you purchase your materials to create your items from the USA (which I do) and then ship it back across the border there will be NO customs as taxes were paid originally.

So what I'm saying is I think you take a risk no matter who you ship with, but the overall risk doesn't change must with CP or a courier yet the fees you or your customer pay are going to be lower with CP.

I dunno if this helps Kristi but I hope it does.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Thanks for your input Mel! I will have to look at ExpressPost. I'm not concerned about the risk with CP. (Well, not really...after all it is an $800 order, and things can always happen) I will be shipping expedited with adequate insurance and I will request a signature. I'm just concerned that they may be shocked and reject the package if they get charged a bunch of duty. I have no idea what the threshold is, and I've being reading mixed amounts from $200-$800. That's a big discrepancy. So I guess I'm looking for will they pay duty on orders over $200 or $800usd? If I know it's $800 I can relax a bit. This is uncharted territory for me.

0 Likes

Jump to solution
Kristi, your stuff is likely covered by NAFTA anyway, but duties are not levied on incoming US packages under $800 now (it used to be $200, so you are still finding out of date info) Congrats on the order!

Mel, I sent 1500+ orders last year via Canada Post, over 99% without tracking, & lost only 1. With an 8-10% loss rate, I would be looking at my packaging, labelling, & also looking at using other outlets in case the problem is theft. What has Canada Post said?

I have had a couple of things returned from the US as undeliverable in the past 8 months, usually arriving here 3-4 months after I mailed them, which is frustrating - but they do eventually show up lol
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Wow I'm jealous of both your numbers and your loss percentage Cindy! :)
Canada Post tells me that inherently jewellery is stolen a lot. It used to be a higher loss amount due to marking for customs as jus jewellery. Now I say fiber bracelets, when people know there's no metal it seems to have gotten better (about 2 years ago I changed that).
Interesting you say outlets... Last time I mentioned the cost of lost packages to the gal at my primary post office I had a month of no lost package reports at all. My husband thinks it's her but she's so good and fast with putting order through, plus she's super convenient. But maybe I do need to try a few months at another outlet to really know.

I ship in smaller bubble envelopes and hand write labels (return address is a stamp). I've only gotten 4 return to sender or undeliverable packages back in 4ish years. It's more money for me to do electronic labels but maybe I need to start going that rate. The losses in product and shipping, plus inconvenienced customers is tough. I have a budget for it (which is just sad).

Thx for info Cindi!!
0 Likes
myCorabella
Inspiration Seeker

Jump to solution
Wow, Mel! Your lost package % is crazy. I suspect an issue at the particular outlet. I lose maybe 1 package for every 500 orders.

On the customs form, I try to make the items sound as bland as possible while still being accurate. E.g. Handmade wirework solid copper pendants could be described instead as "base metal findings". For that same reason, my company name in the return address doesn't inadvertently describe the product. Eg, Corabella Works Ltd., rather than Corabella Wirework Jewellery.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Cindy, Thanks for confirming the $800USD. I knew you'd have an answer ;) I figured they wouldn't have to pay duty on the materials that I've already 'paid duty' on. But just not clear how duty works beyond personal exemption for importing goods. They don't make it very easy to understand and the US Border Patrol website shares as little information as it can get away with I swear! Anyways, as long as I'm under that exemption limit, I can relax!

As for marking customs forms, I've never lost jewellery, but Mel and myCorabella, you raise a good point about how to mark the forms - Thanks for bringing that to light! I sell Sterling silver - unfortunately I don't fall under the 'base metal' label. However, I suppose I could label it 'silver costume jewellery' instead of 'sterling silver jewellery' I don't consider my jewellery to be like stuff you'd buy in a fancy shop.

And yes, who works at the outlets does make a HUGE difference. After the fire at my PO last year, I got a whole new appreciation for how awesome my PO staff is! One PO lady sent 11 packages back to me, because she didn't like something about how I shipped them - Which is how my PO taught me to ship it, and had never had a package returned that way. Only a non-unionized PO/Drugstore employee on a power trip would take the time to write a detailed note on the return labels stating the reason for return during Christmas rush! - peel off the label, shove them back in the mail box and it wasn't an issue! Best investment I ever made was a sizing guide from CP, but as I discovered there are still Post offices that are adamant that if it doesn't fall through the slot, that it can't be mailed as a letter.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
A stamp is good for the return address - no worry about it peeling off! I do not use any business name on the return address, which can help prevent theft.

Some postal systems do not want handwritten labels, and they would increase the chance of error on my end, so I copy & paste the address from Paypal directly into a 30 label template page then print them on labels I buy at Dollarama - $1.25 per 360 labels. Copy & paste means I never make an address mistake, and the address is more readable by machine readers, so it can prevent shipping delays in some countries. I find this much faster than buying online labels - 3-4 minutes to format & print 30 labels.

I would not use the word "bracelet". I call everything "fashion accessories" or "accessories" now.

My loss rate has been higher in some years (I have one this year out of over 800 orders, although I suppose it could still turn up) but I do not think I have lost more than 4 in a year. The time that happened, I believe it may have been due to the self-sealing envelopes I was using catching in US processing equipment, as one buyer had the empty ripped envelope arrive and was kind enough to send me a photo. I had only been using those envelopes for 2 months when the problems started arising, and once I started using a glue stick to seal them completely, the problems stopped. I didn't buy them again, just in case, but who knows? It may have been a coincidence.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I do the same thing - cut and paste into a label template and I'm a bit neurotic about my envelopes, bc many of them 'squish' through the slot, I always tape over the flap so it wraps around the sides of the envelope, just so they don't get caught on anything on the postal machines.

'Fashion accessories'. That's a good one. I'm learning new shipping tips this morning!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
I think this is the label template I currently use:
https://www.onlinelabels.com/Templates/OL875-template-microsoft-word.htm
it is definitely the right size. I save one copy for addresses and keep overwriting it, then another copy for return addresses. I also use these labels on the back of my business cards when the item is unusual & needs a description - fossils, tektites & genuine paua shell mostly.

Here is the label package from Dollarama:
http://frugalandthrifty4.blogspot.ca/2012/12/make-your-own-labels.html
same as Avery 8160.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
good conversation and info sharing, as usual. I just listed a mosaic pendant and bracelet set. it was fun to make this one.

down to the studio I go on this grey day - though the sun looks like it is trying to come out a bit.
0 Likes
Splurge
Post Crafter

Jump to solution
Hello all, are there any jewelry makers in Calgary that would be interested in doing a jewelry party for about 7 grade 3 and 4 girls in September? It's for someone I know but I have never done one so would defer to someone that has done a girl's birthday party before.
0 Likes

Jump to solution
the rotating "no overtime" strike action will start with Alberta & NWT Monday: http://www.cupw.ca/en/postal-worker-overtime-ban-begin-alberta-and-northwest-territories
but mail will still be moving.

(I probably won't receive any, though, because we do not have a regular carrier!)
0 Likes

Jump to solution
the union has delayed the rolling refusal of overtime by 24 hours:
http://www.cupw.ca/en/postal-job-action-put-one-day-talks-continue
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Back from a 10 trip to Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. Saw some really interesting things and places as we avoided the interstate freeways most of the time. My fave towns were Lewistown, Mt., Cody, Wy., Jackson, Wy. and historic Wallace, Id.
Yup. Sure feels like fall! Brrrr.
Hope postal delays don't last too long.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Hmm I wonder if I mail an anniversary card to my friends in BC today if they'll get it in the next month! Haha that's what I get for procrastinating, as it's technically their anniversary today.
0 Likes
Former_Member
Not applicable

Jump to solution
Happy Monday everyone!

Thanks for the strike update, Cindy!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Shayla...send an e-card! tee hee!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
Just wanted to pop in and say hi to everyone!

Hoping the strike won't affect shipping times too much - Thanks for the updates!
0 Likes

Jump to solution
This evening's Canada Post update: Tuesday's strike action (refusal of overtime) has been postponed another 24 hours:
http://www.cupw.ca/en/another-24-hour-extension-canada-postcupw-negotiations
0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.