How to set up special promo for cancer-stricken moms or families who have one

Hi guys. Sorry if the topic is not allowed or if it sounds absurd. I've been mulling over that question, though.

I do know how to set up a promo code, but as you know, when we do, that applies to all potential buyers. I already have that set up on my entire shop. Now, I want to give a special discount (higher than my store-wide sales discount) for cancer-stricken moms or families with one. You see-- I've been in that Big C group since 2019 and I know firsthand how much more difficult life becomes when one gets it. We stop buying "wants" because the finances get allocated to the fight against cancer. I just want to give them a chance to buy something for their mom at cost (zero profit on my side). 

But how do I do it while ensuring that it is targeted to the right people only? I mean, I am aware that many healthy people are going to take it if they see that it's available. If I announce it on my store and the target audience sees it, should they reach out to me and show proof of their mom's illness?

Or is there a better way?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
35 Replies

Re: How to set up special promo for cancer-stricken moms or families who have one

I admire your wanting to help others, but I am afraid you might be the target of scammers.  Asking for proof of an illness wouldn't be a good idea, IMHO.

13 Likes

Re: How to set up special promo for cancer-stricken moms or families who have one

I don't see how you would know who qualifies.  Maybe you could find a group off Etsy and offer your Etsy code there. 

2 Likes

Thanks for this suggestion.

0 Likes

I would be careful about doing this.  If you have an Etsy code, it has to be somewhere on Etsy and there are sites that scrape Etsy looking for these codes.  You might find out it would still be available to everyone.

1 Like
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

Even though I think that is nice what you want to do, it 100% would be abused.  I also probably wouldn't want to ask people to prove they are sick.  That seems too intrusive and even then unfortunately people would still lie.  Not sure how someone would prove it anyway to a random person they don't know?

6 Likes
BootifulLabels
Conversation Maker

You can't restrict it to a specific group of people, how would you even know they were cancer patients or family of one?  Asking for proof would be a breach of privacy and likely to be misinterpreted.  It could also leave you open to abuse.  If you really want to help, donate a portion of profits to a Cancer Charity and do it privately so your good intent is not misconstrued as a sales ploy.  I am a cancer patient as well (four years in and can't wait for the five year mark to land), but I don't mention it in my shop, to me it sounds like a ploy to guilt people into buying/buying more.

7 Likes

I'm in the same boat as @BootifulLabels only I am 4-1/2 months into the 5 year landmark. 

While I think it's a noble thought, I can't see it working on Etsy or any other venue where the whole world is a possible scammer.

Do something nice for someone in your area.  Trust me, it will make you feel better.  Although I am a cancer patient/victim, I bake cakes and make goody bags for a local church thrift store to be given away to only the elderly in their community every Christmas.  Why the elderly?  Because I'm 88-1/2 going on 60!

7 Likes

Somebody’s extension (like Honey) will pick it up and apply it. Now, as far as personally, if I was ill and was given a coupon like that and the shop owner said “Oh you’re sick? Prove it first.”… 

I’d absolutely walk away. Not everybody with illnesses like this are okay with it themselves, let alone enough to somehow prove it to a complete stranger. Just a thought! 

6 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

"But how do I do it while ensuring that it is targeted to the right people only?"

What you are asking for is impossible.  And it would be highly offensive to ask someone for "proof" of cancer, if not downright illegal.  HIPAA laws would not allow someone to submit proof of their mother's cancer without their mother's express written approval, that would be a gross violation.  What person wants their illness used to get a discount?  It's distasteful.  

8 Likes

I have no idea what "proof" you would expect that someone has cancer

really, there is no proof, that can be given to you

I have letters from my doctors and consultants about next appointments and treatment, and blood counts etc ... but they could be easily faked.

no-one gives us a certificate of cancer

and you want to do it for moms - what proof would you want that the person who has cancer is actually a mom. 

and why would you only do it for moms, not do it for dads, or daughters, or brothers

this is a very strange thread indeed

6 Likes

That's for Mothers Day. That's why.

1 Like

really

so you need

proof of cancer

birth certificates to prove who you are, and the person you are buying for is your mother

and only for Mothers day in the USA

stranger and stranger

5 Likes

or if it sounds absurd.

If it was your offspring buying something for you,

what proof would you actually give to them, to give to a seller, to prove you have cancer, and you are their mom

so they can buy a gift for you for mothers day, and bag a discount because of your illness and status?

yes, I think it sounds absurd

3 Likes
Jewels2at
Community Maker

You do not have your location listed...do you have a cancer treatment center in your city?  Maybe you can contact them and let them know you have a coupon code they can use to get an item at cost.

3 Likes

This is a good idea. Thank you.

1 Like
Vintorious
Community Maker

Excellent suggestion.

0 Likes

Consider something less intrusive ...

Maybe donating items to hospital gift shops

Maybe donating some of your earnings to cancer research organizations

I'm always wary of stuff like this on Etsy ... there is just no way to tell what is genuine and what is a sales ploy. I've always felt that if I want to be generous, I should just be generous without asking others to finance whatever it is that I'm supporting.

5 Likes

I will guarantee you'll get an avalanche of spam convos all asking for free stuff and if you decline, they will get nasty.  

4 Likes
bradgoodell
Community Maker

OMG, remember what Etsy used to be like?  Some people were getting almost daily requests for free stuff:

1. Dying woman with cancer
  2. Orphan child whose mother died of cancer
  3. Child with cancer
  4. Woman pregnant with twins dying of cancer
  5. Orphaned child with cancer

Funny, it was never "Dad has cancer" it was always the mom.  And it was always cancer, not diabetes, heart attack, or any other disease.  

All BS, wanting free stuff.  One seller told me she received the same exact message at Christmas for 3 years running, all from the same account, and in the message the child was always the same age.  "My 9 year old son is dying....".  

Sorry to hijack the thread with my rant....

11 Likes
TastefulArtisan
Conversation Maker

@bradgoodell

Here in Phoenix there is a specific corner that a panhandler is always on. Actually, they fight over the spots but that's a different story. lol

This guy on the corner has your basic every-panhandler-sign but his reads:

Trying to bury my son. Please help.

He's been there for TEN years. We moved to Awhatukee (sub of Phoenix) 10 years ago. People on FB were always posting about him.

We don't get a lot of panhandlers in our slice of the valley because the police pick them up and drops them on the other side of the 10 (freeway). 

We do however, get the same lady at Fry's from Thanksgiving to the day after Christmas who uses her all purpose sign on one side for feeding her 5 kids and the other side for gifts for her 6 kids. HAHA! I always want to ask her which side she miscounted her offspring on but the moment passes and I chuckle. 

She has also been there every year for at least 10 years.

1 Like

@TastefulArtisan   I wouldn't have asked this question as she may have been sending one of them to  bed without dinner and I really wouldn't want to know what he or she did to deserve that every day.

0 Likes
cutebutton
Conversation Maker

I had a person message me with a LOOOOONG story about their sick child and all of things that went along with that.

Then at the end they did mention that they wanted a free item but they also linked their go fund me page and asked me for donations and to share it on my social media (which I don't have by the way LOL)!!!!!

I had no clue who this person was.  I thought to myself, It takes some nerve to ask a random etsy seller to donate to your go fund me. 

0 Likes
TBQSC
Community Maker

I commend your efforts, however in many States, not only is it bad form, but it's also illegal / discriminatory to ask people for proof if they are:

• Veteran
  • Handicapped
  • Pregnant
  • Cancer Patient
  • and a whole slew of other "issues/conditions".

While I feel most people are pretty honest, there's always a few who would probably find a way to cheat the system, and when you didn't give them the discount, things could get pretty ugly.  There is already a rash of harassments happening daily on Etsy, some which has turned into threatening physical harm onto others.  I would hate to hear of something like this happening.  

Etsy Seller Policy states, 'if you are raising money on behalf of a charity, you must obtain that charity’s consent. Please see this Help article for more information about donating any portion of your sales to charity." 

Wishing you best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

7 Likes

I am not raising money on behalf of a charity. I was not even planning to profit at all from what I thought would be a limited time mothers day offer for moms with cancer-- not for any reason but the fact that I'm a cancer fighter (survivor for now), too.

But I do get the points that you guys are saying. I guess I'll figure out other ways.

Thank you for taking the time to write your thoughts.

2 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.