Bummer, Messages Disabled Going on Three Weeks.

Three weeks ago I received an Etsy Message from a potential customer with questions about what was included in my product.  I tried to answer it and received that red banner error that said "Bummer, ..." etc.  Having already received a few spam/scam messages, I knew the difference and was surprised I was blocked.  I created a Support Ticket, #16017051.

I didn't send out any messages to anyone.  I'm not a spammer nor a scammer.  I'm just trying to answer questions that others ask me. 

Apart from the initial "How to deal with scammers" automatic email, and my subsequent reply to let Etsy know the messaging was still blocked, I have not heard anything back from Etsy.  I read that sometimes it takes a few days so I was patient, and even posted here looking to see if others had similar issues.

After a week or so I opened a new ticket thinking maybe there was a glitch and somehow my initial ticket was lost.  I mean, I can see it but technology doesn't always work the way we want it to.  It was imediately closed.

I am still receiving messages from both buyers and potential buyers that I can't answer.  For buyers I can reply outside of Etsy as I have their contact info.  For potential buyers I can't answer at all, which means it both hinders potential sales as well as negatively affects any chance I have at a star rating.

Today I opened a new ticket with a screenshot showing the message and that I can't answer it.  Closed in 7 mins without an answer.  On the off chance that was some sort of bot glitch I opened another one with both the message screenshot and a screenshot showing the other ticket closed without an answer... and that was also closed within minutes without any answers.

I do get the email saying "Thank you for reaching out to Etsy Support and someone will answer shortly"...  but then no answers.

At this point I figure either my account is somehow glitched or Etsy is just messing with me.  My products are fine, there's no copyright issues.  I've talked to copyright folks to double check.  Furthermore, I have plenty of competition in the space and they can message customers just fine.  I've made sales, paid fees, and was considering ads ...but now I'm just frustrated.  

If someone can explain to me why I can't message and how I can get things fixed that would be amazing.  The issue has never been fixed so whomever is closing out tickets ... nope, still broken.  

Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
6 Replies
JBPacrat
Conversation Maker

Re: Bummer, Messages Disabled Going on Three Weeks.

You should not be opening new tickets because every time you do it drops your issue to the bottom of the pile. Send all of your messages through your original ticket for better results. 

2 Likes

@JBPacrat Thanks for the tip, but that hasn't worked yet.  I created new tickets since replying to the original isn't doing anything.

0 Likes
RogersLooms
Inspiration Seeker

I have made over 300 sales on Etsy over the years,  have been semi retired lately.  (only one digital item currently.  Apr. 30  I received an email from Etsy that I have a message from Jennifer, click to view.   I paid my 20 cent past due fee but still can't see what the message is.  Doesn't seem to be any issue blocking me, just can't see what the message is.

I have been thinking about listing more items as I need the business, but I don't know if I am blocked or what.  I was wondering why I haven't even sold one of my digital item over the last few years, so last year I purchased it myself to see if the system still worked.

I wish this Jennifer J. could contact me somehow so I would know how I could help her.

Roger in AZ

1 Like

@RogersLooms 
You should NEVER ever buy your own items. It's against Etsy's TOU's.
This is considered shilling and can get your shop shut down for good.

It's doubtful with just ONE item you'd sell any of them.  You're lost in a sea of millions and millions and millions of digital downloads.

Your title could be better, you don't have digital download in the title and don't use abbreviations.  Instr. and more? More what?
What is instr? Instructions? 
If so, then if someone was searching for weaving instructions they'd never find your item.
Plus you are not using any tags at all.  Tags and good titles are how you get found.

If you're trying to see what the message is on your email program, you can't. You only see a "view message" button that takes you to your shop.

You have to go to your shop manager page > messages > click on her message to see it.

If there's no message in your inbox, then it might be in your SPAM folder.

Etsy may have put it there because the bots suspected it was a scam/spam message.

There's no other way for Jennifer to contact you except through the message system if she has never bought from you. 
The only way would be if she had purchased from you in the past and she'd have your email address and you'd have her email address.

2 Likes

@RogersLooms I considered adding external contact info in my shop page with a note asking customers to reach me there, but was told Etsy frowns on that as it directs traffic away from their site.  So I dunnoo...  :shrug:

0 Likes

I think I saw another forum post about this same issue.

0 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.