FAKE MESSAGES

Since I opened my store, I have received over 50 spam messages. Every time I add a new product, I receive spam messages, but they do not appear as spam. I am marking it as spam, my store is negatively affected because these fake bots constantly enter my products and do not behave like purchasing them, please find a solution to this. My store's visibility is decreasing because of these fake bots.

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
5 Likes
10 Replies

Rif.: FAKE MESSAGES

I have the same problem and I heard many other people have this problem too. I sent an e-mail to Etsy Support but I didn't receive a useful answer to this problem. I keep continuing marking these messages as spam (as they suggested)... hoping that this will stop. 

1 Like
GieseDeseiGns
Conversation Maker

Re: FAKE MESSAGES

If they say they are Etsy, are they in the From Etsy folder in messages, if not they are spam, and they need to be put in the Spam folder, unfortunately that can’t be done in the app. But it can with the browser, they need to be put there not just ignored or they affect your star seller. Remember also you are new, to achieve star seller you have to wait 90 days after your first sale. And meet all the criteria. 5 sales, $300. Then you can  begin to see badges  messages, reviews, shipping.

2 Likes

store will NOT be negatively affected by getting fake messages and marking them as spam.

4 Likes

I read it as they believe these fake accounts are more negatively affecting their conversion rate, since they have to enter their shop in order to send them a message but never make a purchase (these fake bots constantly enter my products and do not behave like purchasing them)

7 Likes

Are you certain all the messages are spam?  Did you try to answer any of them?  If the message does not go through then it can be spam.

I understand new shops are getting targeted.  Etsy removes the spammers as fast as they can.  But also watch to make sure you are not removing legit messages by placing them in spam.  It may be you are coming across messages that have a language issue as some buyers use a translator into English and it's not always the best translation.

1 Like

They send messages asking you to confirm your e-mail address using the Etsy logo, etc., but it does not appear in the message section from Etsy, so I am fed up with spam messages. I receive 4-5 messages a day. This is how they send messages immediately, especially to the product I have just added.

0 Likes
KeckArtDesign
Inspiration Seeker

Betreff: FAKE MESSAGES

Ja genau wie bei mir auch! Solche Drecksäcke!!!

0 Likes
ChillwolfArt
Conversation Maker

@PersonalizedMy  Hi, Welcome to Etsy! It sounds like you have been receiving Messages from scammers *(please correct me if wrong).  These idiots have been targeting new Sellers as well as seasoned ones.  Oftentimes these scammer Messages appear immediately after a Seller lists an item/s. "Verification" is a popular scam, as well as posing as Etsy Staff/Support, etc.   Scanning of QR Codes is another. When you receive a LEGIT Message from Etsy Support/Staff, etc., it will appear in the "From Etsy" Folder (in Messages). If it isn't there, Mark the Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  *"From Etsy" Folder was not on the App until recently (a highlighted blurb on the Message). The thing is, should you not see this first (and be familiar with it), you could receive a scammer's Message beforehand. Also, the App does not allow you to Mark the Message as Spam (you must use a browser instead, or use the Buyer App).

Also for future, many scammers are posing as "Buyers", stating they need your email for an Order. They don't, Etsy already has it. When you receive a LEGIT Order, it will appear in "Orders & Shipping" (Left Column of Shop Dashboard); if it isn't there, you have no Order.  Mark the scammer's Message as Spam (so you don't get dinged for S Seller).  And never click on links or engage with them.

Etsy should be able to nail these FAKE accounts who are impersonating Etsy Staff/Support, etc. It's happening way too often. For a while now, Sellers have been reporting that legitimate Buyer Messages are being put in "Spam" by Etsy (obviously a glitch to combat the scamming problem). Here is the Help Article re: Scams.
https://help.etsy.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000343128-How-to-Handle-Scams-and-Suspicious-Messages?seg...

Hope this is helpful to you.

2 Likes

Yes, this is exactly what I mean, it happens as you say.

1 Like

Etsy is on this. I was posting on forums here earlier about low sales etc . I then got a strange message via my shop stating they were concerned for my shop as l have attractive products not vintage items as is  the case and can they ask questions about my products ,process etc. Did not sound human atall like a chat Ai. If they were human they would know what sales by looking at my shop and would not call them products . Vintage items  instead. This thing found me originally in these forums as stated in message to my shop. Etsy stepped in within 5 mins and sent all messages to spam. So they are monitoring and cracking down to protect sellers . I do find it bit disturbing though that conversations here are still not private hence this unsettling thankfully brief convo .. Security is stepping up thankfully. Thank you.

3 Likes
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.