SnowCityTarot
Inspiration Seeker

Etsy please improve how reviews on digital items are done???

I'm an astrologer so I sell my hand written reports digitally but my clients can't download their files from the app. Instead they have to use the computer - which like 80% of them don't use. Instead I send my files to them through e-mail so they can get their reports on their phones. If I want them to leave a review they have to find a computer, login, download the placeholder file and THEN they can leave a review.

I have 700+ sales at this point and only 100 or so reviews and it's just because its so friggin inconvenient for them to do all this extra crap to leave a review. 

My traffic comes from my social media accounts so I don't use Etsy to attract customers, I really only use this platform for the convenience of it and I will be honest, this review problem is the prime reason why I'm considering moving off to shopify. Is Etsy aware this is a problem and if so is anything being done about this?

Labels (2)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
1 Like
15 Replies
NanaLetha
Community Maker

Re: Etsy please improve how reviews on digital items are done???

I always leave reviews using the buyer's app. Very easy to do.

1 Like

@NanaLetha  The problem is that her buyers have to use a computer or the phone's web browser to download, which can be awkward.  It is also just not logical - if you can buy and leave reviews in the app, why can you not also download in the app? 

4 Likes

I feel like they should be able to leave a review on Etsy through the phone or at least the phone app as long as they have an account I think. I am not 100% sure... I know I am able to leave reviews through my phone! 

2 Likes

I hear ya!  Though my real beef with not being able to download via the app is that lots of buyers get confused because the app itself is not clear on this point.  Sellers then get messages and/or bad reviews from frustrated buyers -- "can't download!!!"  Etsy really needs to fix the app to allow downloads, or at least put some sort of little message in the app on digital downloads to go use a browser.

I used to get several messages a day from customers who were purchasing through the app and then not able to download. I would then send their purchases via Etsy messages, which I'm happy enough to do.  But this takes time, and I may not see a message for a few hours or overnight, which can be frustrating for buyers. 

I've (mostly) solved this by using Etsy's personalization feature as a sort of "read and agree" for buyers to acknowledge they're buying a digital PDF that must be downloaded via a regular browser and not the app.  About 10% of buyers still don't read it, but I'm having many fewer confused buyers since putting that in place.  

3 Likes

A review can be left on the app.

Are you not using the new placeholder for digital that Etsy now has so you don't email to the buyer?

On the app, a buyer has to have the ability to use a PDF or other.  Many do not have that on their phones or tablets.  It is not the fault of Etsy or the app.  It is the buyer who does not have the correct tools available.

To work with them make sure to tell them what they need to download their purchase for a custom answer. 

Again as to reviews they can leave them on the app.  They don't have to add words, just stars if they want. 

0 Likes
SnowCityTarot
Inspiration Seeker

I've tried using the new option for made to order items where I can just attach the file through the Etsy dashboard, but I operate off my phone for some of my readings so I have to upload my files to my computer, then go to the dashboard. Which is a pain, but also the Etsy shop won't support some of my file formats. My phone records audio in mp4 format but Etsy won't allow me to upload them. I've tried to change the format but Samsung's app doesn't have an mp3 recording option. It's just a big mess. I have to change how I operate just to accommodate Etsy's app... On top of all this, I have no idea if my clients can download the files I send because they open the download link to their phone, then they get sent to the Etsy app which doesn't allow people to download digital files.

1 Like

FYI your tip listings are not Etsy legal.

They can be used for money laundering and shilling (speaking of reviews!).

Every listing on Etsy MUST be for a tangible good.

3 Likes
SnowCityTarot
Inspiration Seeker

Well, that's unfortunate. My clients asked me to put the tip jars up for them. Etsy just really isn't a good platform to sell services.

If anyone with a million dollars sees this thread, please make a service version of Etsy!!

1 Like
Amaradorn
Community Maker

Someone may correct me but I think it's normal for the review rate to be about 20%. I have just over 5000 sales and just over 1000 reviews. Is that normal or low?

If you are emailing your readings to your customers anyway, why don't you set up your listings as standard listings and don't use the instant download function at all? No download, no problem. Just an idea, although I accept that I don't fully understand how it all works.

3 Likes
SnowCityTarot
Inspiration Seeker

I had thought about that but I live in NY state. If I list it as a physical item then Etsy automatically charges sales tax. My service normally isn't subject to sales tax, so I'd feel bad charging my buyers extra.

1 Like

@SnowCityTarot  Thank  you for posting this!! (I hate starting my own thread) Etsy really needs a massive overhaul of both their buyers and sellers apps. I would have to guess that the majority of Etsy shoppers are using the app and not a browser. Honestly, I don't think most people know the difference. You do not need a PDF viewer on your phone to download a PDF. Most printers today have a mobile option for printing.

Does anyone know how to make a suggestion to Etsy for this? At least half of my recent messages have been "I can't find my download".

1 Like

Placeholder file?  What is that?

0 Likes
Amaradorn
Community Maker

@DoodadsandDivination OP is talking about a temporary file which is uploaded in older to publish the digital listing. It's not the final file, but it needs to be downloaded before the customer can leave a review.

0 Likes

@SnowCityTarot @PieceByNumberQuilts : While the app does need improving, the download issue is on Apple and Google not Etsy. Even Amazon requires that downloads be done via a browser.

There are two options. #1 Convince Apple and Google to change their fee structure for digital purchases via an app. (Apple takes 30% of all transactions for in-app digital purchases). #2 Convince Etsy that you and all other digital sellers are willing to pay this additional amount as a surcharge on your orders.

0 Likes

@BagmakerSupply  This is quite an old thread.  At the time I wrote my reply, I hadn't realized the reason for downloads not being available on the app.

That said, certainly Etsy could put a note in the app to let buyers know they can find their downloads by logging in on a web browser. 

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.