About the sold out product price

Hello sellers,

In some listings I see sellers displaying lower prices for the items they are selling, marking them as sold out and selling them at a higher price. This is probably a tactic to attract customers to their pages by showing them cheaper. How correct is this behavior? Why does Etsy allow this? For example, when it sells a product for $13, it charges a low price of $4 and marks this option as sold out. This way, when customers search by sorting from cheap to expensive, the sellers try to come out on top. I think Etsy should not show that a product that is exhausted in the list is the cheapest price. If it is really a product that sells for 4 dollars, okay, let it show it cheap in the list, but shouldn't it show the price of the products that say this option is over in searches?

Labels (1)
Translate to English There was a problem fetching the translation.
0 Likes
3 Replies

Re: About the sold out product price

You should click the orange dot from orange to white in your variations to hide sold out listings, but not everyone does it. It is a common tactic to price something like a sample of something or a size XS in an unpopular color at a lower price, then charge more for the main product or popular sizes and colors so your listing will show a lower price in search.

Apparently, it does get you more clicks on the search page or people wouldn't do it, but many shoppers do find this a sleazy practice that doesn't say much for your character, and it is just as likely to make them leave in disgust.

0 Likes

@PetandWildlifeGifts Yes, this is nothing but misleading people. But I think it's very wrong for Etsy to allow this. I think it is not right to show a product in searches based on the price of a product that is sold out.

0 Likes
OneEyeCatStudio
Conversation Maker

"Why does Etsy allow this?"

I don't know why, but they definitely do allow it. 

IMO, they seem to have a death wish recently.  They are doing so many things to offend both buyers and sellers.

1 Like
You must log in to join this conversation.
Remember that posts are subject to Etsy's Community Policy.